Tuesday 23 January 2018

Tubber claim Benson Cup with emphatic win

TUBBERCURRY claimed the first silverware of the Sligo GAA season, with an emphatic 11-point win over St Farnan's in the Benson Cup final.

Indeed, the scoreline was perhaps generous to St Farnan's, who scored 1-2 in the closing minutes to marginally reduce the final deficit..

St Farnan's were unfortunate in the fact that their midfielder, Damien Kilgannon, had to leave the fray early on after a nasty collision - a blow the west Sligo men never recovered from.

Fergal McDonagh was a notable performer in the Tubbercurry forward line throughout, and he had three points to his name by the 25th minute, with Colm McGee and Dermot Walsh also on the board for their side early on.

St Farnan's struggled in the first period and this was evident on the scoreboard, as they failed to register a score until the 24th minute, Shane Feeney eventually getting his side off the mark. However, this sparked a barrage of St Farnan's attacks and they scored further points through James Hynes (2) and Ryan McCombe to close the gap - Hynes second effort particularly impressive. The revival was short-lived, however, and the South Sligo men re-asserted their dominance with scores from John and Fergal McDonagh, Stephen Gilmartin, McGee and Killoran opening up a six point gap by the break.

Fergal McDonagh, scorer of 0-7, continued to cause trouble for St Farnan's in the second thirty minutes, while substitutes Jason Matthews and Gary Curran also made a positive impact on the scoreboard following their introduction - Matthews grabbed his side's goal after terrific build up play from his teammates. St Farnans were hampered by their inability to cause any real trouble for Tubbercurry's defence, as they again started slowly in the second half - 15 minutes passed before they managed to raise a white flag through Shane Neary's strike. Gary Curran and Fergal McDonagh extended the Tubbercurry lead as the game entered its closing stages, but it was St Farnan's who had the better of the late exchanges.

Keith Lang and James Hynes pointed for the Dromore West outfit, while Tómas Ryan hit the net after a well worked move set him up for a three-pointer giving Tubbercurry a facile victory.

Tubbercurry: D McDonagh, E Coleman, B Murphy, C Evans, L McDonagh, M Burke, S Matthews(0-1), C Killoran(0-1), A Brennan, J McDonagh(0-1), S Gilmartin(0-2), B Kilcoyne, F McDonagh(0-7), C McGee(0-3), D Walsh(0-1). Subs: F Cretaro, J Matthews(1-1), S Kilcoyne, G Curran(0-2), B Brennan

St Farnans: P Harte, G Feeney, K Hannon, D Taylor, J Quinn, M Lang, M Mulligan, D Kilgannon, P Culkin, S Feeney(0-1), J Hynes(0-3), T Ryan(1-0), R McCombe(0-2), K Lang(0-1), S Neary(0-1). Subs: K Kilgannon, F Kilgannon, Referee: A McGowan

Sligo Champion

Promoted Links

Promoted Links