Friday 20 September 2019

St Farnan's let seven point lead slip but recover to earn draw

Easkey 1-12 St Farnan's 0-15

Frances Hanley in Quigabar

Easkey got the better start of this local derby with two points on the board in the opening minutes from Mikey Gordon and Andrew Kilcullen.

They might also have had a goal in the first ten seconds from Andrew Kilcullen but for a touch by Kevin McGee to deny it.

Andrew Mc Munn got a point from play to open the scoring for St. Farnan's after a couple of chances had been sent wide.  Mikey Gordon added a point from a free after a good run by Eoghan Rua McGowan led to a foul. 

This was followed by a point from Andrew Kilcullen. St. Farnan's who had a strong breeze in this half began to make an impression on the game, forcing Easkey to foul. Finnian Cawley was in fine form as free taker and by half time had converted four chances. 

Points also from James Weir, Greg Feeney and Ciaran O'Connor left the half time score St. Farnan's 0-8, Easkey 0-4. Easkey introduced substitute Emmett Lindsay just before the break.

After the break, St. Farnan's continued to exert pressure on Easkey's defence and Finnian Cawley obliged with excellent free taking including one from near the end line. Kieran Duffy got a fine point from play for Easkey's first score of the second half. After twelve minutes St. Farnan's led by 0-11 to 0-5. Gavin Connolly scored a fine point from a '45 to stretch the lead to seven points. 

Easkey introduced Rory McHugh and with his first touch he got a point. This started Easkey's revival as it was followed by a point from Andrew Kilcullen. 

St. Farnan's introduced Shane Feeney for Ronan Molloy and Easkey introduced both Daniel Rolston and John Feeney.  Emmett Lindsay added a fine point from play to narrow the gap to four points, St. Farnan's 0-12, Easkey 0-8. 

The sides exchanged a point each before the hard working Mikey Gordon added a point from play to reduce the deficit to a single goal after twenty seven minutes. 

St. Farnan's had introduced three subs in the last ten minutes. Andrew Kilcullen got another point from play to leave only two separating the sides. He had two further opportunities from frees at this stage but didn't convert. 

Easkey however got a golden opportunity when a kick out led to possession by Mikey Gordon who duly fired to the net from the 20 metre line to give Easkey a one point advantage on the stroke of full time. 

A point converted by Mikey stretched the lead, but ,with four added minutes St. Farnan's gained a draw after another superb free from Finnian Cawley and an equalising point from substitute Gavin Calpin. 

St. Farnan's will be wondering how they let a seven point advantage slip. Easkey to their credit had an excellent second half led by Mikey Gordon in the middle alongside Andrew Kilcullen, Rory McHugh and Emmett Lindsay  up front.

St. Farnan's had good performances from Finnian Cawley, David Hallinan, Martin Mulligan, James Weir and Conor Gordon.

Sligo Champion