Saturday 16 December 2017

Mulligan hits late winner for Leitrim

Paul Brennan, Leitrim, in action against Danny Cummins, Galway in the FBD League.
Paul Brennan, Leitrim, in action against Danny Cummins, Galway in the FBD League.

Leitrim came away from Duggan Park, Ballinasloe with a fully merited win over favourites Galway in Sunday's exciting FBD league clash, which was played in dreadful weather conditions with wind and rain persisting during the showdown.

After enjoying the advantage of a strong breeze in the first half Leitrim still trailed a dominant Galway outfit by a point when the halftime whistle sounded

Leitrim upped their game in the second half and claimed victory at the end by the narrowest of margins after their top marksman Emlyn Mulligan slotted over an injury time 35 metre free.

Mulligan put Leitrim ahead with a 7th minute point from play and added another point from a free in the following minute. Eoin Concannon opened Galway's account when he shot over in the 12th minute with Danny Cummins levelling the game with a similar score two minutes later.

After a low scoring first half, Galway went in at the break with a 0-5 to 0-4 advantage.

After some gutsy and concerted efforts from Leitrim in the opening minutes of the second half the Duggan Park visitors levelled the game with an Emlyn Mulligan point from play.

Within the space of four more minutes Fergal Clancy edged Leitrim back in the lead for the first time in twenty-four minutes when also shot over from play. Leitrim increased their advantage to 0 – 2 with Emlyn Mulligan tapping over a 41st minute free that was awarded for a foul on Gerry Hickey.

But Sean Armstrong kept Galway right in contention when he shot over from play a minute later. Leitrim then grabbed their biggest lead in the game (0 – 4) when after a well worked 45th minute move Ray Cox finished to the net from close range after being put through by Emlyn Mulligan.

There was little between the sides from there to the finish. Mulligan got Leitrim on level terms in the 58th minute and then slotted over a dramatic winner from a 35m free.

Leitrim: Cathal McCrann; Barry Prior, Paddy Maguire, Gerry Hickey; Paul Brennan, Garry Reynolds, Shane Foley; Aaron Hickey, Damien Moran; Kevin Conlan, Robbie Lowe, Fergal Clancy 0 – 1; Ray Cox 1 – 1, Ray Mulvey, Emlyn Mulligan 0 – 7(4fs). Subs: Gavin Reynolds 0 – 1 for Mulvey (34 mins.); D. Sweeney for A. Hickey (35 mins.); Emmett Mahon for Foley 38 mins.); Alan McLoughlin for Cox (48 mins.); Sean McWeeney for Maguire (56 mins.).

Galway: Nathan King; James Shaughnessy, Joss Moore, Aonghus Tierney; Sean Denvir, Gareth Bradshaw, G Higgins, Tom Fahy; Paul Conroy, David O'Connell; Mark Hehir 0 – 1, Sean Armstrong 0 – 2, Gary Sice; Danny Cummins 0 – 1, Eoin Concannon 0 – 2, Ian Burke 1 – 0. Subs: Donal O'Neill for Denvir (41 mins.), Michael Martin 1 – 0 for Sice (41 mins.), Shane Walsh for Hehir (41 mins.), Eddie Hoare for Cummins (49 mins.) Peadar Óg Ó'Griofa for Burke (52 mins).

Referee: Jerome Henry (Mayo).

Sligo Champion

Promoted Links

Promoted Links