Thursday 14 November 2019

Geevagh are intermediate champions

Kennedys Intermediate Football Championship Final: Bunninadden 3-05 Geevagh 2-16

Emma Gallagher at Markievicz Park

Geevagh make their return to the senior grade for 2020 after a commanding second half performance saw them deserved victors in this year's Intermediate final against a valiant Bunninadden side.

John Hughes's men were leading by 11 points deep into injury time, a late consolation goal from Daniel Cafferky reduced the final score to 8, but only a mere point separated the sides at half time after a thrilling opening half.

Just 46 seconds was registered on the clock when Geevagh struck for the first of the game's five goals in a sunny Markievicz Park.

A blistering move from Joseph O'Reilly, Daithí O'Reilly and Daniel Devine, who started in place of the injured Arthur Wall, saw the latter blast the back of the Bunninadden net in the opening minute.

Bunninadden responded credibly, Matthew Clavin getting them off the mark on 2 minutes, followed by captain Michael Gormley finding Kenneth Kerins who also slotted over from play a minute later.

Then, John O'Flaherty's men, who had defeated Curry and Easkey on their path to the final, got their first goal in what was a fast-paced 5 minutes from both sides.

The south Sligo side overturned possession and with a goal mouth scramble it was Gormley who found the net to put his side 2 points in front. Bunninadden's Colm Doddy was black carded for a challenge on Daniel Conlon on 10 minutes with Karl Brennan introduced as Geevagh then drew level.

A free from the outstanding Kevin Henry was followed by another move involving Henry on 13 minutes who fed Daniel Conlon, who sent over his first of 4 points from play during the hour, the sides level at 1-2 apiece midway through the first period.

Geevagh hit seven widees to their opponents' three in this half and it was Bunninadden who then went in front once more.

Clavin again with a powerful run through the Geevagh defence leaving Darren Kearns with no chance in the Geevagh goals on 17 minutes, Bunninadden in front by 3 points.

Daithí O'Reilly was threatening with a goal chance on 18 minutes which went to the left and wide as Geevagh then scored four points on the bounce all from play.

O'Reilly got his first from play on 27 minutes, good work from Henry, followed by a fine score from Joesph O'Reilly as half-time approached.

Geevagh captain Kenneth Sweeney sent over a huge score on 32 minutes to level the game before Geevagh midfielder Pat Cawley found Daithí O'Reilly who slotted over his second, Geevagh ahead by one at the break, 1-6 to Bunninadden's 2-2.

A collision between 2 Bunninadden players saw play delayed for sometime after the resumption, Bunninadden's full-back Sean Leamy having to leave through injury. Rory O'Dowd was unfortunate to see his chance at pointing come off the post as down the other end,

Geevagh's TJ Davey, Sweeney and Cawley linked up, Cawley sending over a brilliant score as they went 2 in front.

A foul on Geevagh's Daniel Conlon was duly converted by the excellent Henry on 39 minutes with Geevagh then adding two more scores.

The next beginning with the brilliant Donal Conlon who was superb throughout, Sweeney, Pat Hughes and Daithí O'Reilly all linking up with Conlon then sending over a well-worked score on 40 minutes as their lead increased to four points.

Geevagh were starting to control the game, Henry adding another from play as Bunninadden's first score of the second half came through Rory O'Dowd on 44 minutes.

Hughes responded with a fantastic score for Geevagh as 5 separated them with 15 minutes left.

Bunninadden needed another goal, Hughes did find the net on 46 minutes but referee Ronan Hynes had signalled an earlier free, Henry converting as Geevagh went 6 in front.

Bunninadden's Barry Cafferky tried to link with Daniel Cafferky but the full-forward was unable to connect with the pass as he neared goal on 48 minutes.

Conor Murray sent over a fine score for Bunninadden after a Kerins pass but with five points between them, another goal was needed.

Unfortunately from a Bunninadden point of view the next goal was Geevagh's. A pass from Cawley was brilliantly flicked on by Hughes to the waiting Daithí O'Reilly who found the net, Geevagh galloping into an 8 point lead with only 3 minutes to go. The next 4 scores all belonged to Geevagh, a Henry free followed by a point from play by Sweeneyas the superb Donal Conlon added two more with Hughes's men 12 points in front with 6 minutes of injury time.

A Daniel Cafferky goal chance went agonisingly close but over the bar, the full-forward did find the net on 67 minutes but it was Geevagh's day as they return to Senior football.

BUNNINADDEN: J McDonagh, P McManus, S Leamy, T McLoughlin, C Doddy, S Anderson, N O'Donnell, A Frain, M Clavin, C Murray, M Gormley (C), K Kerins, O McDonnell, D Cafferky, R O'Dowd.

Subs used: K Brennan for Doddy (b/c 11), C Brett for McManus (19), B Cafferky for McLoughlin (b/s 31), B Cafferky for Leamy (inj 36), R McManus for K Brennan (inj 49), J McLoughlin for O'Dowd (b/c 54), K Frain for O'Donnell (60).

Scorers: D Cafferky (1-1), M Clavin (1-1), M Gormley (1-0), K Kerins (0-1), R O'Dowd (0-1), C Murray (0-1).

GEEVAGH: D Kearns, D Conlon, G Wall, P McGoldrick, C Lavin, D Devine, TJ Davey, P Cawley, K Henry, J O'Reilly, P Hughes, K Sweeney (C), T O'Reilly, D O'Reilly, D Conlon.

Subs used: G McManamon for McGoldrick (63), D Smith for Devine (63).

Scorers: D O'Reilly (1-2), D Devine (1-0), K Henry (0-5, 4f), D Conlon (0-4), K Sweeney (0-2), J O'Reilly (0-1), P Hughes (0-1), P Hughes (0-1).

REFEREE: R Hynes (St Farnan's).

Sligo Champion