Tuesday 17 September 2019

Easkey and Naomh Eoin ends in draw

Senior hurling championship - Naomh Eoin 2-15, Easkey 1-18

Frances Hanley at Kent Park

This game was a thrilling competitive affair between table toppers Naomh Eoin and Easkey who were coming on the back of a defeat to Calry/ St Joseph's the previous weekend.

Easkey lined out without a number of familiar faces. Naomh Eoin too, were without county star Niall Feehily.

Easkey got a great start with the McHugh brothers linking up to produce the first three scores of the game.

This lead was quickly clawed back by the brothers from Naomh Eoin with two points from Tony O'Kelly Lynch and one from younger brother Fergal.

The sides traded a point each, one from Easkey's Ian Barrett and Naomh Eoin's Paul Kilcoyne. Both players had very good games for their respective sides.

Rory and Joe Mc Hugh added a point each before Naomh Eoin introduced substitute Ryan Feehily for Evan Davey on the fourteenth minute.

Another point for Joe McHugh extended Easkey's lead to a goal.

Naomh Eoin's Tony O'Kelly Lynch added two points from play along with one from Kilcoyne to level matters after nineteen minutes. Both players were causing problems for Easkey.

Naomh Eoin increased the pressure in the remainder of the half and were rewarded with a goal from full forward Matthew Davey who found the net after a long ball was sent in towards the goal mouth.

At half time the score read Naomh Eoin 1-10, Easkey 0-10.

Easkey's Joe McHugh opened the scoring in the second half with a brace of points.

A free in for Naomh Eoin found Colm Dolan who hit the net. This was followed by a point from Tony O'Kelly Lynch to give his side a five point advantage 2-11 to 0-12. Easkey moved Niall Kilcullen to midfield which helped matters as he worked tirelessly and this move meant an increase in the number of puck outs won.

The sides exchanged two points each before Joe McHugh was rewarded for his great efforts with a goal after a fine pass from Finnian Cawley set him up.

Tony O'Kelly Lynch pointed to leave a goal between the sides.

Easkey dominated the latter few minutes with Joe McHugh getting three points, two from play and one from a '65, followed by a point from the hardworking Kilcullen. Easkey led by one point nearing full time. Naomh Eoin's Gerard O'Kelly Lynch got a point in the dying moments to give his side a draw, a point which caused some controversy as the referee had to consult his umpires.

Easkey had good performances all over the field, from each scorer and from Daniel Rolston, James Weir and Bernard Feeney in the backs. Naomh Eoin's Gerard and Tony O'Kelly Lynch , along with Paul Kilcoyne and Ryan Feehily among others were excellent throughout.

This result will guarantee Naomh Eoin a place in the semi final, while Easkey play Coolera/ Strandhill on Saturday next looking for a win . Naomh Eoin play Western Gaels in the final round.

NAOMH EOIN: Kevan Brennan, Gerard Leamy, David Hickey, Donal Keaveney, Michael Munnelly, Cathal Jordan, Aaron Corcoran , Gerard O'Kelly Lynch(0-1),Tony O'Kelly Lynch (0-8(2f), Donal Fidgeon, Paul Kilcoyne (0-4), Evan Davey, Colm Dolan (1-0), Matthew Davey (1-1), Fergal O'Kelly Lynch (0-1). Sub used: Ryan Feehily.

EASKEY: Jimmy Gordon, Bernard Feeney, James Weir, Thomas Rolston, Cormac Hallinan,Daniel Rolston, Rory Mc Hugh(0-1), Finnian Cawley (0-1), Cahan Hallinan, Hadyn Gilroy, Niall Kilcullen (0-1), Ian Barrett (0-1), Sean Hallinan, Joe Mc Hugh (1-14(5f,65"), Eoghan Rua Mc Gowan. Sub used: John Feeney. Sub: Fergal Curran

REFEREE: Charlie Candon.

Sligo Champion