Tuesday 24 October 2017

Calry secure easy passage to Connacht final

The Manorhamilton outfit and Leitrim champions Cluainín was heavily defeated by a very impressive Calry team in the provincial junior hurling championship semi-final that was played in Markievicz Park

Calry now go onto defend their provincial crown won last year in the Connacht final later this month.

Meanwhile Calry's Keith Raymond was the dominant player in the Yeats County sides win over Cluainín. He gave an outstanding display of how the finer skills of the game should be executed while all scoring prolifically from play and frees.

Cluainín would have been beaten by a far greater margin in their showdown with Calry were it not for several fine saves over the course of the game that was made by their veteran goalkeeper and former Tipperary player Val Cronin.

The sides were evenly matched in the opening eleven minutes when both teams notched 0 – 4 apiece. In this spell Keith Raymond whipped over two marvellously struck sidelines cuts from the midfield area while Kevin Gilmartin and Conor Griffin added a point each for Calry.

Gavin O'Hagan hit over two Cluainín points in reply with Niall McLoughlin and Kevin Clerkin adding a point each. After a 12th minute Keith Raymond free conversion Calry took a lead they never subsequently surrendered as they bombarded Cluainín into total submission for the remainder of the action.

The Calry men led by 2 – 9 to 0 – 4 by the 19th minute. In this spell Keith Raymond shot 1 – 2 for Calry while Ronan Cox added a goal with Eolan McCarthy and Conor Griffin getting a point each.

Cluainín, who hadn't scored for nine minutes, replied with a Gavin O'Hagan point from a free. Before the break Calry surged further ahead with their third goal from David Collery while Keith Raymond slotted over two frees to make the halftime score line read Calry 3 – 11 Cluainín 0 – 5.

With Calry enjoying such a massive halftime advantage the intensity of the contest dropped somewhat in the second half as did the scoring rate. In the opening seven minutes of the second half Keith Raymond with a point from play put Calry further ahead as did Kevin Gilmartin who shot a goal.

Gavin O'Hagan replied with 45th minute Cluainín free conversion. Over the next nine minutes David Collery and O'Hagan swapped points from play at opposite ends.

Calry stretched their lead to 21 points in the 56th minute when Kevin Gilmartin got his second goal of the afternoon. Before the end Cluainín's Michael Dolan and Calry's Eolan McCarthy traded a point each from play.

Calry/St. Joseph's: Chris Madden; Niall McDermott, Michael Larkin, Noel Treacy; Fiachra Coyne, Jamie Kenny, Fintan Keown; Ronan Cox 1 – 0, Keith Raymond 1 – 8(6fs); Conor Griffin 0 – 2, Darragh Cox, Kevin Gilmartin 2 – 1; Cathal Cullen, David Collery 1 – 1, Eolan McCarthy 0 – 2. Subs: Damien Burke for Cullen (43 mins.); Declan Reidy for Madden (50 mins.); Eoin Doherty for Griffin (53 mins.); Ciaran McGuire for Treacy (56 mins.); Ronan Watters for D. Cox (58 mins.).

Cluainín: Val Cronin; Patrick Clancy, James O'Brien, Patrick Clerkin; Seamus McTiernan, Steve Feeney, Patrick Loughlin; Michael McKeon, Brian Feeney; Micheal Dolan 0 – 1, Karl McDermott, James Rooney; Kevin Clerkin 0 – 1, Gavin O'Hagan 0 – 4(2fs), Niall McLoughlin 0 – 1. Subs: Sean McTiernan for Rooney (HT); Conor O'Hagan for McDermott (50 mins.).

Referee: Tom Killian (Roscommon).

Sligo Champion