Woman seriously assaulted at home
Gardaí in Sligo are continuing their investigation into the serious assault of a woman in a house in Garavogue Villas last week.
The Polish national was brought to Sligo University Hospital and was said to have been in a critical condition following an alleged assault at her home.
The woman, a mother of two aged 42, was subsequently transferred to the Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where she underwent an operation for a bleed on her brain.
It has been reported that the woman is slowly making a good recovery from her injuries.
Gardaí are understood to be making good progress into their investigation and are aware of who the alleged attacker is.
Meanwhile, the condition of a woman in her 50's who was knocked down as she crossed the Inner Relief Road on Friday morning remains in a critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit at Sligo University Hospital.
The accident occurred at approximately 9.10am. The female driver of the car was uninjured in the collision.
The injured pedestrian was taken to Sligo University Hospital for treatment, her injuries were described as serious.
Two lanes of the road was subsequently closed with diversions in place to allow for a forensic examination of the scene to be carried out by Gardaí.
This resulted in large tail backs and knock on traffic congestion throughout the city for most of Friday.
Sligo Fire Service also attended at the scene and allowed use of its Aerial Platform for the Gardai forensics team.
Later in the day, Grattan Street was closed briefly following a report of a gas leak.
Units from Sligo and Ballymote Fire Brigade attended but it turned out to be a false alarm with no gas detected.
There were also a number of minor accidents on Friday morning due to frosty and slippery conditions.
Tubbercurry and Charlestown units attended a four vehicle collision at Achonry but no serious injuries were reported.
On Saturdayevening three appliances two from Sligo and one from Ballymote attended a commercial fire at Sullivan's bar on The Mall.
No one was injured but there was property damaged by fire and smoke, predominately the storage area next to the bar.
The Sligo Family Resource Centre, which is adjacent, was smoke logged from the original fire but the building was not occupied at the time