Over 11% of land in county is forest
Some 20,979 hectares of County Sligo is under forest cover which is 11.4% of all land in the County according to new statistics released by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
• 428 farmers in the county received a total of €1,863,799 in forest premium payments in 2017.
• In 2017 the total volume of timber harvested in the County is estimated at 115,000 m3 overbark of which 22,000 m3 was harvested by private forest owners.
The value of timber sold by private owners in the County that year is estimated to be in the region of €623,000.
• 190 hectares were planted in County Sligo in 2017.
• 15% of all species planted during that year were broadleaves.
• Total employment in the forestry sector in County Sligo is estimated at 445 people. The total forest area in the country has increased from 697,842 hectares in 2006 to 770,020 ha in 2017.
Broadleaved species account for 28.7% of the total forest area, increasing by 3% between 2013 and 2017.