Tuesday 12 December 2017

Family's double tragedy

The house in Aylesbury Park where Catriona Feely died on Friday following a fire.
The house in Aylesbury Park where Catriona Feely died on Friday following a fire.

Emma Gallagher

A DOUBLE tragedy has struck the family of a young woman killed in a fire in Sligo at the weekend.

Her father, who was in his seventies, died in hospital on Monday from cancer.

Catriona Feely (34) from Abbeyview, Lavagh, Ballymote, died in the house fire at White Stand View, Aylesbury Park on Friday night.

Her young nephews, Ryan (18) and Haiden (3), were in the house when the fire broke out and managed to escape.

Catriona was staying at the home of her sister, Caroline.

She was visiting their father, Michael Feely, when the fire broke out.

Sadly, retired farmer Michael died yesterday, Monday.

He was in his seventies and is survived by his wife, Rita.

The fire may have been started by a cigarette.

Gerry O Malley, Acting Fire Officer said that the call came in at 9.20pm on Friday evening.

He said: "We had three fire engines and an aerial platform at the location.

"The fire was mainly confined to the upstairs of the house.

"There were three people in the house at the time, an 18 year old and a three year old were outside when the fire engines arrived.

"There was one person still inside, neighbours had attempted to rescue the person but the flames were too hot."

A team with breathing apparatuses entered the house and they had got the casualty out in under two minutes.

She was found lying at the top of the stairs.

Mr O Malley said: "The fire was under control in around 40 minutes.

"It was mostly confined to one bedroom upstairs and a portion of the landing.

"There was a lot of smoke damage.

"The house is situated in a housing estate and is between 10 and 15 years old. A Garda forensics team is investigating."

The tragedy happened close to where local councillor David Cawley lives.

He said: "I know the deceased's sister Caroline.

"They are very nice people, originally from Lavagh.

"It is sad all round as they were caring for their dad in hospital.

"It is a big shock to the community.

"The house is in a very nice estate, the houses are well kept and there is an active community.

"We hope we can support the family as best we can, it is very sad.

"There was an 18 year old and a three year old in the house too and it could have been worse," he said.

A post mortem was carried out yesterday at Sligo Regional Hospital.

Local Priest Fr Peter Gallagher said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time.

"All we can do is to offer our sincere sympathy and support.

"The community is rallying around."

The remains of Michael Feely and his daughter will repose at Morahan's Funeral Home, Tubbercurry, between 5.30pm and 7.30pm this evening, Tuesday.

Funeral Mass takes place in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Mullinabreena, at 12 noon on Wednesday.

Burial is afterwards in Courtabbey Cemetery.

Sligo Champion

Promoted Links

Promoted Links