Wednesday 25 April 2018

Moyne Rangers make the leaders think

Seán Kenny of Shamrock Rovers closes down Dermot Flood (Wexford Bohs) in Sunday's tie.
Seán Kenny of Shamrock Rovers closes down Dermot Flood (Wexford Bohs) in Sunday's tie.

MOYNE RANGERS are determined to break up the two-team monopoly at the top of the Premier Division.

Shamrock Rovers and North End United's love/hate relationship could be about to become a ménage a trois if Rangers are able to keep up their current form.

A handsome 5-1 win over Gorey Rangers has kept the Enniscorthy outfit on course for a third place finish at the very worst, but Rangers will no doubt be setting their sights a little bit higher with United and Rovers both just a slipup or two away from being ousted by them.

For the time being though, Rovers do not appear to have any chinks in their armour. Their most recent success came on the road, against Wexford Bohs. A 4-1 win in Ballykillane handed the Fr. Murphy Park side their tenth victory in as many matches.

Martin McKeown was in fine form as he landed two goals for the league leaders and John Hudson also chipped in with a strike, while an own goal completed the visitors' tally.

It was a case of third-from-bottom against second spot as Park Hotspur and Campile United faced off against each other, and the hosts scuppered their guests' hope of keeping pace with Rovers as they held them to a 2-2 draw courtesy of efforts from Jay Malone and Seán Pailing. Campile surrendered a 2-0 interval lead after goals from Graham Howlin and Mikey Rowe.

That point has now put a nine-point gap between Hotspur and tenth-placed Forth Celtic, who slumped to their ninth defeat in 12 games as they went down 2-1 to New Ross Celtic at Murrintown.

Paul Cowman scored for the hosts but Paul Phelan - who has returned from Waterford United - bagged both goals for Celtic, who now sit smack bang in the middle of the table between leaders Shamrock Rovers and basement club New Ross Town.

Town, who have gone ten games without securing a single point, must wait another week to end their barren spell as their home game with Courtown Hibs was called off owing to frost on the pitch.