Thursday 21 November 2019

Runaway win for Buffers men in all-Gorey District Final

Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'B' Football Championship Final: Buffers Alley 6-10 St Patrick's 0-4

Darren O’Brien receiving the trophy from his clubmate Mary Foley, one of the County Board’s Leinster Council representatives
Darren O’Brien receiving the trophy from his clubmate Mary Foley, one of the County Board’s Leinster Council representatives
The victorious Buffers Alley panel with mentors Fintan Farrell and John Dempsey

Brendan Furlong in Bellefield

There was no denying who was the superior team as Buffers Alley cruised to a comfortable 24-point victory over a disappointing St. Patrick's outfit in this Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'B' football championship final in Bellefield on Saturday.

Buffers Alley were never troubled through the 60 minutes, particularly after experienced attacker Shane Grannell struck for three first-half goals.

Really, the result was a foregone conclusion by the end of the opening quarter, by which stage the eventual winners led by 2-4 to 0-1, with St. Patrick's unable to make a worthwhile impression.

Buffers Alley were coming off the back of an exciting semi-final victory over Sarsfields, and this test stood to them as they stormed into this game from the very start.

Although a second-minute John Martin point had St. Patrick's in an early lead, within two minutes the club better known for its hurling exploits hit the front when Shane Grannell cut in from the right to shoot high into the roof of the net, giving his side a lead they were never subsequently to relinquish.

As St. Patrick's came under increasing pressure, they conceded further points to Grannell and Kevin Roche.

After eleven minutes, corner-forward Oisín Fortune got on the end of a sweeping move to finish to the net from close range.

And when Adam Byrne cut through the centre of the defence to shoot a further goal, the eventual winners led by 3-4 to 0-1 after just 17 minutes.

Such was the dominance of the Alley even at this early stage that it was only a matter of what they would win by.

Grannell then set up Colm Og Doran who was fouled, and the former dispatched the penalty to the net after 19 minutes.

Just one minute later, Grannell once again found the net, a score that was to eventually leave his side leading by 5-6 to 0-3 at the interval, with St. Pat's only managing two further points after that early effort through Ian Maguire and John Martin.

There was never a chance of a St. Patrick's revival, and any hope they had of salvaging anything from the game really disappeared in the 37th minute when they had Parish Flynn sent-off on a second yellow card.

There was very little football played through the remainder of the game, as Buffers Alley - who won their sole previous title at this level in 1981 - simply went through the motions.

They added their sixth goal after 49 minutes when corner-forward Liam Walsh finished a Grannell cross to the net, with his palmed effort easily beating 'keeper Dan Chisholm.

Such was the nature of this one-sided second-half, that St. Patrick's could only manage a single point through this entire period, arriving from a Fergal Maguire free three minutes from the end.

Buffers Alley: Darren O'Brien; Conor Kenny, Seán Murphy, Alan Doyle; Robert O'Leary, Ross Donohoe, Adam Byrne (1-0); John Farrell (0-1), Ciarán Murphy; Paul O'Leary (0-1), Kevin Roche (0-1), Colm Og Doran (0-1); Liam Walsh (1-0), Shane Grannell (3-4, 1-0 pen., 0-3 frees), Oisín Fortune (1-2). Subs. - Ciarán Kenny for Conor Kenny, black card (8), Robert Donnelly for Fortune (52), Páraic Roche for Doran (56), also Andrew Kenny, Cian Fortune, Leonard Lacey, Paul Doyle, Myles O'Connor, Jack Hearne, Ciarán Hearne, Owen Dempsey, Willie Doran, Jack Murphy, Bobby Kenny, Paudi Reidy, Niall Corrigan, Ben Murphy, Jack Whelan, Martin Keane, Gearóid O'Connor, Jamie Dempsey-Doyle, Oliver O'Leary.

St. Patrick's: Dan Chisholm; Niall O'Leary, Liam Fitzpatrick, Michael Doyle; Lorcan Hamilton, Kyle Byrne, Parish Flynn; John Martin (0-2, 1 free), Stephen Kavanagh; Ollie Gahan, Dermot O'Leary, Conor Morris; Mark Furlong, Ian Maguire (0-1), Fergal Maguire (0-2). Subs. - Cian Hogan for O'Leary (20), Mick Fitzpatrick for Gahan (41), John Cousins for Maguire (43), also Brendan Byrne, John Rothwell, David Graham, Enda Murphy.

Referee: Martin Armstrong (Starlights).

New Ross Standard