Sunday 18 February 2018

Peter's produce a little bit extra

IT MAY have taken extra-time, but St. Peter's College always held the edge as they eventually fashioned an eight-point victory over a limited Coláiste Mhuire outfit in this Leinster Colleges Senior football 'A' championship game at Stradbally on Thursday last.

Though they had to rely on extra-time, it was during this 20-minute spell that they played their best football, fashioning out two excellently-taken goals as they totally overpowered their opponents.

Their poor finishing, particularly through a dominant second-half, resulted in the game being brought to extra-time. Their kicks for points from very scoreable positions were wayward to say the least, and had they found the target, they would have been comfortable winners at the end of normal time.

Midfielder Bill Eviston and Dara Lyons (free) exchanged points during the opening four minutes, with Tony Smith edging the Wexford side in front six minutes later.

The sides were deadlocked at 0-3 each at the end of the opening quarter, before points from a Donal Shanley free and Shane Wilde gave St. Peter's a 0-5 to 0-3 lead after 20 minutes.

Four minutes later Coláiste Mhuire grabbed their only goal when midfielder David Loughrey created space before finding full-forward Darren Keenan with a long crossfield ball. Keenan lost his marker before powering a rising shot to the net, a score that set his side up for a 1-5 to 0-6 interval lead, while it was only an excellent save on the stroke of half-time from Peter's 'keeper Richard Cleary that denied Keenan a second goal.

St. Peter's substitute Donal Kelly marked his half-time introduction with a point inside 30 seconds of the re-start, while two minutes later a Jake Firman long-range effort had the sides level (0-8 to 1-5).

Both teams were struggling for scores with a Dara Lyons 40th-minute pointed free restoring his side's lead. While St. Peter's continued to squander chances, they still managed to hit the front six minutes before the end through a Shane Wilde point, leaving the scoreline 0-10 to 1-6.

When they looked like holding out as the game moved into additional time, a defender was penalised for pushing under a high ball, leaving Dara Lyons with the simple task of equalising and bringing the game to extra-time in the process, as the sides finished level (0-10 to 1-7).

Four minutes into the first period of extra-time, at the end of a sweeping move, Shane Wilde saw his attempt on goal blocked, but he somehow managed to flick the rebound across the face of the goal for Tony Smith to finish to the net.

Coláiste Mhuire responded with two points, from Dara Lyons (free) and David Loughrey, to leave the minimum separating the sides (1-10 to 1-9) at the interval.

St. Peter's totally dominated the second period of extra-time. Donal Kelly and Donal Shanley (free) added points, before Jody Donohoe finished a move with a splendid goal. Their dominance continued as Donohoe and Aaron Maddock added late points to secure their passage through to the next round.

New Ross Standard

Promoted Links

Promoted Links