Monday 17 June 2019

Kehoe turns tide

Cloughbawn 2-12 Geraldine O'Hanrahans 0-16

Alan Aherne

The half-time introduction of Colm Kehoe tipped the scales in favour of Cloughbawn in Bree on Saturday when they came from behind to overcome a spirited Geraldine O'Hanrahans challenge in this Joyces Expert Intermediate 'A' football championship Group A clash.

The eventual victors trailed by 0-9 to 0-5 at the break, but Kehoe scored their first goal and then earned the penalty that led to their second as they picked up their first win in their third outing.

As if the arrival of Kehoe wasn't troubling enough for the New Ross side, they shipped another heavy blow in the 35th minute when big midfielder Danielius Niekis was forced off with a shoulder injury.

Given that they went into action without the services of former inter-county centurion and dangerous attacker Shane Roche, it was a loss they simply couldn't afford.

All the same though, they kept plugging away in search of a fruitless second win and hit the last three points via Dylan Egan (free), substitute Conor Cleere and Egan from play to leave Cloughbawn very happy to hear the final whistle.

Geraldine O'Hanrahans had first use of the wind and led by 0-4 to 0-1 after ten minutes after points from Egan (two, one free), Barry Roche and Diarmuid Kehoe.

Martin Kehoe had opened Cloughbawn's account, and they were level by the end of the first quarter following a run of three scores on the trot from Paul Foley, Kehoe and Luke Cummins.

After an exchange of points between Páidí Cullen and Egan, the Barrowsiders finished the half on a high note as the accuracy of Seán Culleton, Kevin Grangel, Jack Foran and Eoin Kelly left them 9-5 clear.

Cloughbawn, with Kehoe now on board and the elements in their favour, resumed with points from Martin Kehoe and Bob Whitty, although the Geraldines dug in and cancelled those thanks to Kelly and free-taker Egan.

The first Cloughbawn goal arrived in the 43rd minute, and it was started and finished by Colm Kehoe.

He claimed a mark from a Barry Kehoe kick-out and also got on the end of the resultant attacking move, taking a pass from Páidí Cullen and lashing the ball left-footed to the net (0-11 to 1-7).

It took a while for the Enniscorthy District side to edge in front though, with their rivals still one point to the good with ten minutes left after Dylan Egan (free) and Kevin Grangel swapped scores with Martin Kehoe and Colm Kehoe (free).

Bob Whitty capitalised on a slack kick-out to equalise, and the decisive moment arrived in the 52nd minute when Colm Kehoe was fouled and Martin Kehoe drove the penalty to the net despite a good attempt at stopping it by David Merrigan (2-10 to 0-13).

Colm Kehoe and Paul Foley added points, but the Geraldines squandered a good chance in between when Barry Roche found Kevin Grangel who fired across goal to the left and wide.

Indeed, they were a trifle unlucky because, as well as picking off the last three points, they were left frustrated deep into added time when Jack Foran's shot was fumbled by Barry Kehoe, but corner-back Aaron Byrne saved the day for Cloughbawn with a goal-line clearance.

Cloughbawn: Barry Kehoe; Stephen Casserly, Colin Doyle, Aaron Byrne; Gavin Murphy, Johnny Cullen (capt.), Harry Kehoe; David Doyle-Murphy, Páidí Cullen (0-1); Bob Whitty (0-2), Luke Cummins (0-1), James Dempsey; Callen Morrissey, Martin Kehoe (1-4, 1-0 pen.), Paul Foley (0-2). Sub. - Colm Kehoe (1-2, 0-1 free) for Morrissey (HT).

Geraldine O'Hanrahans: David Merrigan; Michael Cleere, Seán Crowdle, Enda Kelly; Eoin Kelly (0-2), Matt Crowdle, Pádraig Bailey; Danielius Niekis, Jack Foran (0-1); David Crowdle (capt.), Dylan Egan (0-7, 4 frees), Diarmuid Kehoe (0-1); Kevin Grangel (0-2), Seán Culleton (0-1), Barry Roche (0-1). Sub. - Conor Cleere (0-1) for Niekis, inj. (35).

Referee: Martin Quigley (Rathnure).

New Ross Standard