Sunday 19 November 2017

Joseph's forge double scores success

ST. JOSEPH'S bounced back from defeat in their previous outing with an unconvincing victory over Castletown in the Junior football championship in Monamolin on Saturday last.

Many were surprised when the Wexford town side lost to Rathgarogue-Cushinstown the previous week but the spark was missing once more against the Tomnahely men and there will need to be significant improvements made as they move into the knockout stages.

Gone from the attractive showing in the league final success a fortnight earlier was the free-flowing, direct-running, quick-passing football. It was replaced by a more direct, launch-it and hope gameplan and St. Joseph's were far poorer for its implementation.

The Bishopswater boys actually started brightly with a John Bergin point, while Kyle Dempsey drilled wide when baring down on goal and Dean Roche forced James Flood into a comfortable save.

A dead ball from the boot of Declan Downes doubled the St Joseph's lead before midfield workhorse Wayne Carty popped up for his first over (0-3 to nil).

Castletown, who now need to beat Glynn-Barntown in their final game to qualify for the last eight, registered just the one first-half score, a point through John Andrew Kinsella in the 16th minute.

At the other end, the Gorey District side were under increasing pressure and did well to limit St. Joseph's to two further points before the break through Derek Bergin and Roche (0-5 to 0-1).

Without breaking the game open, St. Joseph's continued to tack on points in the third quarter as they eased eight ahead with Carty notching the pick of the scores after a superb Downes pass.

Trailing by 0-9 to 0-1, Castletown made a mini-revival in the last 14n minutes as four Ross Bealin points closed the gap to five, but St. Joseph's held on to cement their place in next month's quarter-finals.

St. Joseph's: Brian Fenlon; Paddy King, Lee Wadding, Seamus King; Gary Byrne, Paddy Harnett, Philip Leniston; Andy Moore, Wayne Carty (0-2); Declan Goodison, Declan Downes (0-1 free), Derek Bergin (0-2); Dean Roche (0-2, 1 free, 1 '45), John Bergin (0-1), Kyle Dempsey (0-1). Subs. - Mark Fenlon for Goodison, Ian Fitzgerald (0-1 free) for J. Bergin, Adam Beary for Roche, Robbie Mullins for Moore, Shane Dempsey for K. Dempsey, inj.

Castletown: James Flood; Seán Carty, Donal Kavanagh, Alan Holmes; Yusuf Frih, Joe Ahearne, Stephen O'Rafferty; Colin Kennedy, Stephen Moloney; Danny Dixon, Ross Bealin (0-4, 3 frees), Stephen Redmond; Mark Halpin, John Andrew Kinsella (0-1), Seán Roche. Subs. - Martin Hempenstall for Redmond, Kevin Byrne for Ahearne, Denis McAuliffe for O'Rafferty.

Referee: Brian O'Leary (Crossabeg-Ballymurn).

New Ross Standard

Promoted Links

Promoted Links