Sunday 22 September 2019

Clearcut win for fluid Glynn

GAA - Glynn-Barntown 2-11, St. Anne's 1-7

Alan Aherne in Innovate Wexford Park

Glynn-Barntown went about their business in a most efficient manner in Innovate Wexford Park on Saturday as they made it five points from a possible six with a convincing win over struggling St. Anne's in Group B of the Senior football championship.

Leading by 1-7 to 1-3 at half-time, the Killurin crew removed all doubt regarding the outcome when Michael O'Regan added their second goal to make it 2-10 to 1-4 in the 41st minute.

And while the addition of just one point thereafter will leave mentors with something to work on, by the same token they never looked in danger of losing their grip.

Full-forward Aaron Kehoe has inherited the family nickname of 'Buzzer', and he was certainly buzzing around the Anne's goal in the first-half in particular when he claimed 1-3 of his fine overall 1-4 tally.

After points with the left, right and left again, his goal pushed Glynn-Barntown into a 1-5 to 1-1 lead in the 19th minute.

Prior to that, the Rathangan side had edged in front when Liam Óg McGovern got to the endline to the left of the posts at the town end and fisted across for Aidan Rochford to knock the ball to the net.

Converted frees from Ríoghan Crosbie and Robert Dempsey quickly restored the Glynn-Barntown lead, and they were well and truly on the road to victory after Fionn Cooney latched on to the kick-out after the latter score.

When the ball went to ground in front of him, he knocked it to his left for Kehoe to first-time into the corner of Paul Brennan's net, leaving Glynn-Barntown in the driving seat.

A flurry of cards followed in a four-minute spell, with the leaders' midfielder, Cormac Rowe, shown a black before both teams were reduced to 14 men in separate incidents.

Mark Furlong of St. Anne's was the first to walk for a closed-fist tackle on Aaron Breen, but Glynn-Barntown only had an extra player for two minutes before defender Rowan White got the line for his high and late challenge on Diarmuid O'Keeffe who was haring down the left flank in trademark fashion.

Breen was full of running after the break for the leaders, bursting forward from midfield for a brace of points, and a couple of assists also came from the ever-consistent Alan Cowman who was always keen to supplement the attack from his wing-back berth.

In contrast, the struggling St. Anne's forwards never threatened as a unit, and they now have just one point from three outings and will be under some pressure to qualify.

The goal that effectively wrapped it up for Glynn-Barntown extended their lead to 2-10 to 1-4 in the 41st minute, and it was very much a one-man show from Michael O'Regan.

He used his strength to get a high ball from the left by Ríoghan Crosbie under control, and then tucked it into the corner of the net from the edge of the square.

Jack Fenlon made a fine tackle to tip the ball away from Liam Rochford as he sought an immediate response at the other end, and the defender later blocked an attempt on goal from veteran substitute Redmond Barry.

While Glynn-Barntown finished with 13 men after a late second yellow for captain John Leacy, it made no difference at that stage as they moved to the top of the table above holders Shelmaliers, who are in action against Starlights tonight (Tuesday).

Glynn-Barntown: Matt Doyle; Rowan White, Robert Tierney, Jack Fenlon; Matthew Banville, John Leacy (capt.), Alan Cowman; Aaron Breen (0-2), Cormac Rowe; Fionn Cooney, Michael O'Regan (1-2, 0-1 '45), Ríoghan Crosbie (0-1 free); Shane Wilde, Aaron Kehoe (1-4), Robert Dempsey (0-2 frees). Subs. - David Clarke for Rowe, black card (24), Kevin Mahoney for Cowman (52), Barry Doyle for Dempsey (55), Pádraig Donnelly for Wilde (60+2), Shane Doyle for Cooney (60+3).

St. Anne's: Paul Brennan; Páraic O'Keeffe (capt.), Tomás Cullen, Kenny Cloney; Mikey Fogarty, Kevin Whelan, Liam Óg McGovern; Aaron Craig, Aidan Rochford (1-0); Darragh Furlong (0-1), Jack Murphy (0-1), Diarmuid O'Keeffe (0-2); Liam Rochford, Seán Kelly (0-2 frees), Mark Furlong. Subs. - Kevin Breen for D. Furlong (38), Redmond Barry for L. Rochford (46), Seán Gaul (0-1 free) for Craig (53), Kevin White for Kelly (60+1).

Referee: Kevin Carty (Sarsfields).

New Ross Standard