Sunday 22 September 2019

Ballymitty earn bragging rights

GAA: club football championships - Bannow-B'mitty 0-14, Taghmon-Cross 0-12

Dave Devereux in Innovate Wexford Park

Little more than bragging rights were at stake for Bannow-Ballymitty as they took on local rivals Taghmon-Camross in the Amber Springs/Ashdown Park Hotels Intermediate football championship on Saturday, but they left Innovate Wexford Park with their heads held high after eking out a narrow victory.

They had secured their status the previous weekend with a win over Ferns, but no matter what the outcome of this game was, they couldn't sneak into a top four spot.

Taghmon-Camross, on the other hand, have a quarter-final clash with HWH-Bunclody to look forward to, having finished second in the group.

It was the Sinnott show early on, as Joe ensured Bannow-Ballymitty made a lightning start with two early scores but his namesake, Luke, then knocked over a free and a point from play to draw Taghmon-Camross level.

The sides continued to trade points for much of the half, and when Taghmon-Camross centre-back Barry O'Gorman strode forward to fire the ball over the bar with 28 minutes on the clock, it drew them level at eight points apiece.

However, after Niall Harney had edged Bannow-Ballymitty in front, O'Gorman's impressive opposite number, Art Sweetman, knocked over his fourth point in the space of nine minutes to give them a 0-10 to 0-8 advantage at the break.

Taghmon-Camross had twice gone close to plundering a goal in the opening half, with Cathal Doyle denied on both occasions.

In the 14th minute he saw his shot blocked, after Adam Sinnott's attempt at a point had come back off the crossbar, and in injury time he was teed up by Luke Sinnott but his first-time effort came back off the woodwork.

After Chris Cullen had opened the second-half scoring, Luke Sinnott converted a 41st-minute free to draw Taghmon-Camross level.

Eye-catching points from Niall Harney and Joe Sinnott restored the two-point gap, but another brace of converted placed balls from Luke Sinnott ensured the sides were level again going into the final ten minutes.

Micheál Murphy then took centre stage, with two sweet scores in as many minutes to give Bannow-Ballymitty a 0-14 to 0-12 lead.

And although they were reduced to 14 players in the 56th minute when Niall Murphy was black-carded, having earlier been shown a yellow, they managed to play keep ball for the dying minutes to end their campaign on a high.

Bannow-Ballymitty: Seán McCormack; John Mernagh, Niall Murphy, David White; Conor Neville, Art Sweetman (0-4), Ryan Morris; Conor Furlong, David Currid; Joe Sinnott (0-4, 1 free), Mark Wallace, Richie Walsh; Niall Harney (capt., 0-3, 1 free), Micheál Murphy (0-3), John Staples. Subs. - Jack Donohue for Walsh (38), Mark Colfer for Neville (60).

Taghmon-Camross: Jack Dunne; Stephen O'Keeffe, Alan Nolan, David O'Keeffe; Mark O'Gorman, Barry O'Gorman (capt., 0-1), Darren Carty (0-1); Derek O'Hanlon, Stephen O'Gorman (0-1); Eoin Doyle, Adam Sinnott, Tom Banville; Chris Cullen (0-1), Luke Sinnott (0-7, 5 frees), Cathal Doyle (0-1). Subs. - Mick O'Gorman for Cullen (35), Matthew Doyle for O'Hanlon (38).

Referee: James Flood (St. Mary's, Maudlintown).

New Ross Standard