Friday 15 December 2017

Sadness as death of Michael (36) is recalled

The late Michael Kane
The late Michael Kane

THE TRAGIC death of 36-year-old New Ross man Michael Kane was recalled at an inquest on Thursday.

Michael, of 20C, The Moorings died on July 30, 2013, at his home.

In a statement read out at the hearing at the Brandon House Hotel, David Caulfield said he rang his friend Michael on July 30 on a number of occasions and couldn't get through to him. He called to Michael's apartment at 6 p.m. to check on him as he knew Michael took tablets and could have been unconscious. Mr Caulfield said he rang Michael and could hear his phone ringing inside the apartment but nobody answered it, so he decided to kick the door in, finding his friend in the bedroom inside.

Garda Michelle Power said she called to the Moorings where she met Mr Caulfield and came upon the remains of Michael. She said items found at the scene were placed in evidence bags.

Dr Terry Rogers arrived at the scene and pronounced Michael dead at 6.40 p.m.

Garda Power said Michael's mother Kathleen from the Bosheen arrived shortly afterwards, and she spoke to Michael's ex partner who told her he had phoned their daughter earlier in the day.

Michael was removed to Waterford Regional Hospital where a post mortem was carried out by pathologist Dr Maurice Murphy.

Dr Murphy told the inquest that he conducted the post mortem on July 31, adding that a toxicological examination found a toxic level of morphine and therapeutic levels of opiates in his system.

Dr Murphy said Michael's death was due to respiratory arrest secondary to combined levels of morphine and opiates in his system.

Dr Nixon recommended a verdict of death by misadventure, which the inquest jury agreed with.

He said that Michael did not intend to end his life.

'Any time anyone is involved in intravenous drug use they are taking a major risk with their lives but their intention is not to end their lives,' Dr Nixon said.

He extended his condolences to the Kane family on their loss, as did Inspector Derek Hughes on behalf of the Gardaí in New Ross.

New Ross Standard

Promoted Links

Promoted Links