independent

Wednesday 22 May 2019

Relief for residents as rubbish cleared from laneway in Rosbercon

The cleaned up site
The cleaned up site
A mini-dump of rubbish at Rosbercon last month

David Looby

The owner of house in a residential area of Rosbercon whose yard was filled with bags of rubbish and was attracting rats, will be pursued by Wexford County Council for the cost of the clean up.

A lime kiln and a laneway was covered in rubbish bags near Albatros fertiliser plant but the mess was cleaned up by council workers during the evening time recently. The site had been attracting rats at a property purchased by Kilkenny County Council at the junction of the Chilcomb Hill and Mullinavat road. A local resident appealed through this newspaper last month for the rubbish to be cleared away, saying: `It's disgraceful! It's a public health hazard, Rats have been noticed scurrying about. This has been going on for several months and something has to be done about.'

The dwelling where the rubbish piles were dumped, (including on top of cars parked in the laneway adjoining the house), is vacant, but it's close proximity to Rosbercon residents and St Canice's NS was a cause of concern.

Cllr Anthony Connick said: `This matter was dealt with under a Section 56 order under the Waste Disposal Act. A notice was placed on the house.'

He said Wexford County Council staff cleaned up the site - which also has a caravan. He said the bags were searched for letters and if someone's name turns up they will be prosecuted. `The council are putting the full rigours of the law in place and they will be charged for cleaning this. It will be a big bill. It's as bad as I've seen. I will be keeping an eye on the site to see if any more bags are dumped.'

New Ross Standard

News