Saturday 18 November 2017

Popular publican Mick laid to rest

NEW ROSS came to a standstill for the funeral of one of its most popular publicans, Michael (Mick) Dempsey of The Tholsel Inn, Quay Street, last week.

Mick passed away peacefully aged 88 at Wexford General Hospital surrounded by his family the previous Saturday, following a lengthy illness. He is survived by his wife, Nonie; sons, Jim, Michael, John, Tom, Declan and Pat; daughter, Julie; grandchildren, great grandchildren, sisters, Sr Alice and Sr Lila; extended family and friends.

Born to James and Julie Dempsey of Mountain Ego, Whitechurch, Mick was one of a family of 13 children and was the last remaining son of the family. A talented hurler in his youth, he played at underage level for Horeswood, lining out against a young Bobby Rackard on one memorable occasion. He attended Ballykelly NS and later served his time as a bar attendant at Fleming's, North Street. Some years later he trained as a carpenter with Ryan Bros and for many years he worked in the trade and also worked as a builder. He also worked at Graves.

A man who always took great pride in his work, Mick was well known throughout the South East for the attention to detail which was his calling card.

In 1951 the premises at 11 Quay Street came up for sale and Mick bought it. In the following year he married his sweetheart Nonie Prendergast of The Quay, New Ross one winter's day in 1952 at 7 am as was the custom of the time.

Together they ran a very successful business which flourishes to this day in the heart of the town.

Mick and Nonie reared their family of six boys and one girl. Mick's hobbies of hunting and fishing ensured his young family always had a plentiful supply of salmon, mackerel and pheasant. A many of many passions and hobbies, Mick loved to enjoy a simple life and a trip to relax by the Nore was one of his favourite pass times.

Mick continued to serve at the bar up until three years ago and would come downstairs to chat with the patrons up until earlier this year.

Mick's health began to deteriorate about four years ago and he spent several weeks at Wexford General Hospital, where he received excellent care.

The Dempsey family wish to thank the doctors and nurses at Wexford General Hospital for their attentive and kind care ever since he arrived there.

A large crowd attended Mick's funeral mass at St Mary and St Michael's parish church on Monday last, having marched behind his coffin along Quay Street after Gardaí reversed the traffic in his honour.

Mick was laid to rest afterwards at Rosbercon Cemetery.

May he rest in peace.

New Ross Standard

Promoted Links

Promoted Links