Monday 18 December 2017

Denton's dream cruelly dashed

The first thing people ask you when you walk down the road with greyhounds is, have you the next derby winner there?

This is a dream every greyhound owner dreams of.

Well for Enniscorthy man Aiden Denton that dream could well have happened after Kereight King battled hard to reach the 2013 final, only for the heartbreaking reality a few moments later to find King had injured himself and it was found he has a broken toe and will not be able to take his place in this week's final.

Aiden Denton still has a lot to be proud of as he bred this dog and for any breeder to see his dog reach the ultimate race in the greyhound calender is a lifetime achievement.

Despite this setback I'm sure there is great disappointment in the Denton household at the moment. Hopefully Kereight King will be back to grace our tracks again sooner rather than later.

Ferns trainer Brendon Murphy had a nice double at Harold's Cross on Friday night with both winners owned by Carol O'Connor (Rockmount), Rockmount Zumo (Westmead Hawk-Rockmount Fancy) was first up in the A3 race when he came through his field to score an eye-catching four length win in 29.26.

The double was completed by Rockmount Twirl (Westmead Hawk-Rockmount Hetti) in race 10 when recording a sixth race win in 29.51.

Enniscorthy trainer Brian Madigan was again on the mark this week at the same venue when Rumble The Aces followed up last week's win to record his 13th race win in the A2 race, time 29.04 and Michael Moore is the owner.

Richard Walsh snr (Clearestown) had a night to remember at Waterford also on Friday night when recording a fine treble, taking two heats of the A4 stake on the way.

Bamboo got the night off to a fast start as she went up well to the bend in good position, before stretching away off the last bend to score by four and a half lengths in a fast 28.90.

Then in heat three Wajas Scout took control at the third bend to stride on and score by two lengths in 29.16 and the treble was complete when Wine Garden (Winetavern Oscar-Wee Rose) romped away with the last race, coming home 10 lengths to the good in 29.13.

Dick reminded the younger brigade how it's done.

Indeed the three heats of the a four stake were Co. Wexford won, as the Nick Turner trained Minnies Jackpot (Minnies Pavalova-Minnies Maranda) done just enough to hold on to score by a short head in heat two, time 29.24.

Gorey owner Cecil Willoughby got in on the act also as his Clover Ace trained by Maria Byrne made good ground up to lead off the last bend to score by two lengths in 29.50 in race seven.

There was only one winner on Saturday night when the John and Peter Nolan (Davitt Rd) Wexford owned Urban Impact (Royal Impact-Jalos Wish) led in race five an A2/3 contest and done enough to hold on for a neck victory in 29.02.

There was a good and well known winner at Mullingar track on Saturday as Piercestown Sand owned by Shanks Whelan of Piercestown returned to action after a long layoff to score in his second race back in the opening heat of the fair warrior sprint in a time of 21.42(-25 slow) and should get sharper with every run and hopefully get back somewhere near the dizzy heights when he won the Tote Gold Trophy.

I see in a recent interview with board chairman Phil Meaney the infamous five year plan is finally ready and will be published on the I.G.B website in the next week or so let's hope there is some meaningful and imaginative proposals that will bring our sport forward in a positive way.

New Ross Standard

Promoted Links

Promoted Links