Tralee outfit lose out in FAI Junior Cup on penalties despite lead



Tralee Dynamos 3 Ennis Town Rock 5 (AET)

TRALEE Dynamos seemed to be heading for the fourth round of the FAI Junior Cup midway through the second half at Cahermoneen on Sunday when they led 31 lead against Clare side Ennis Town Rock but they allowed a two goal lead to slip and lost the game in extra time. Losing their two centre halves with injuries did not help their cause. This was an excellent cup tie laced with plenty of good football with both sides totally committed to the cause.

Dynamos were well on top in the opening 20 minutes keeping the ball on the deck and making their opponents fight hard to get possession. Danny Roche went close in the first minute hwen he took down a James Sugrue cross and volleyed inches wide. At the other end Ennis were only a whisker away with a shot from Niall McNevin. Then Dynamos creatd an opening but Jamie McIntyre's shot missed the target.

The visitors went ahead in the 23rd minute after forcing a corner. It was floated into the goalmouth by David Reidy and went through Dynamos goalie David Hennessy hands and went all the way to the net. Dany Roche set up James Wall with a great ball but he was denied by a superb block by Ronan Judge. Coming up to half time Dynamos had another chance but James Sugrue volleyed a Theo Diggins cross wide.

Seven minutes into the second half Dynamos equalised from the penalty spot through Jamie McIntyre after a foul on James Wall. Then in a two minute spell Dynamos seemed to have put this game to bed when Scott Monaghan scored a great goal after a run down the left wing and immediately afterwards they were in again with Jamie McIntyre setting up Aaron Houlihan and he applied a great finish.

It now looked as if Dynamos were on their way to victory if they adopted a cautious approch and killed the pace of the game. However, Ennis did not panic and they brought themselves right back into the game in the 79th minute when David Reidy stole a march on the Dynamos defence and scored from close range. Then as the game approached the final minute the Dynamos defence was breached after an Eoin Glynn free kick and David Reidy got in for a dramatic equaliser which forced the game to extra time.

The game was held up in the first period of extra-time when Maurice O'Rahilly was attended to for a dislocated shoulder after he fell awkwardly. In the second period of extra-time Ennis went ahead when they were awarded what appeared to be a rather dubious penalty and Eoin Glynn converted. Then they sealed the game with a great winner with man of the match David Reidy turning on a sixpence and placing the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Ennis will now meet St Brendans Park in the fourth round at Christy Leahy Park and Dynamos will be left pondering over why they let a two goal lead slip. Prio to the commencement of the game a minute's silence was observed in memory of the late Peter Sugrue, who was a great Dynamos supporter. TRALEE DYNAMOS: David Hennessey, Shane Carey, Scott Monaghan, Jonathan Burrows Maurice O'Rahilly Theo Diggins, Jamie McIntyre, James Sugrue , James Wall, Danny Roche, Aaron Houlihan Subs: Mark Fitzgerald, for Jonathan Burrows, Jeffrey Roche for Maurice O'Rahilly ENNIS TOWN: Shane Loftus, Adrian walsh, Ronan Judge, Shane Daniels, Jason White, Francis Daniels, Joe Collins, Gary Collins, Eoin Glynn, David Reidy and Niall McNevin Subs: Mikey Dinan for Joe Collins, Richie Neylon.for Niall Mc Nevin, Ethan Considine for Frank Daniels REFEREE: Seamus O'Mahony