Listowel upset the odds to hammer Park

DENNY PREMIER 'A': Listowel Celtic 5 The Park 1 - LISTOWEL Celtic provided the shock of the day at Pat Kennedy Park when they lowered the sails of the current Premier A Champions The Park in impressive fashion.

The Park seemed to be on the road to victory when they went ahead after 15 minutes with a David Clifford goal. However, three minutes later they were reduced to 10 players when Ryan Downey got a red card. Inspired by two of their youth players Celtic took control of the game and a brace of goals each from Ian Murphy and Mike Woods set them on their way while Eddie Joe Walsh got another for good measure.

I said earlier in the season that this was a good young Listowel side if they had a full strength team on duty and they proved that on Sunday with a memorable win over one of the giants of Kerry soccer.

Dingle Bay Rovers 0 Castleisland 1

WITH The Park slipping up Castleisland moved into second place in the table with a hard earned win over Dingle Bay Rovers.

Both sides performed very well in difficult weather conditions, but it was Castleisland that got the vital breakthrough with a goal from Stan Devane in the first half good enough to win the game.


Asdee Rovers 3 Atletico Ardfert 2

THIS top of the table clash lived up to its billing and the outcome was hanging on a thread right up to the very end. Atletico drew the first blood with Andy Keane firing them ahead after 15 minutes. Asdee fought back and equalised when Mark Culloty headed home a Liam McElligott corner kick and it was 1-1 at half time. Asdee went ahead on the hour mark when Noel Long took advantage of some slack defending by Ardfert and found the net.

After missing a sitter Ardfert took the initiative again with a free kick by Mike Moloney sailing over everyone and ending up in the roof of the net. The stage was now set for a grandstand finish with both sides in search of a winner.

The vital score came in the 80th minute for Asdee when Liam McElligott done the spadework to find Noel Long at the back post and he nodded the ball across the goalmouth and James Culloty nodded it home to give Asdee the three points.

They now have built up a seven-point lead at the top of the table and are looking good to make it to the final.

Castlegregory 3 Fenit Samphires 1

CASTLEGREGORY bounced back after their defeat to Asdee last week with a very good win over fellow title contenders Fenit Samphires.

They forged ahead with a spectacular free kick from Shane Hennessy. Fenit equalised before half time and the game was wide open now. Castlegregory moved up a gear in the second half but the sides were still deadlocked with 10 minutes to go.

Then the home side went ahead with a Colm Sills goal and they sealed victory with another from Ian Flynn after being set up by Shane Hennessy.

AC Athletic 2 Mainebank FC 5

MAINEBANK FC are beginning to move up from the lower regions of the table after some good results in recent games. On Sunday they were too good for AC Athletic who are really struggling this season. Mikey O'Connor bagged a brace for the winners while Trevor O'Connor, James Long and Colm O'Neill were also on the mark.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links