Joy for LB Rovers who KO Cedar Galaxy

Greyhound Bar

KO Cup

LB Rovers 2

Cedar Galaxy 1

LB Rovers, under new manager Micheál Carr of Lisselton fame, hosted Cedar Galaxy in Ballybunion on Sunday and after an entertaining game it was LB Rovers that progress to the next round.

The game got off to a frantic start with Cedar going ahead after just three minutes.

Adam Waterworth won the ball at midfield and spread-eagled the LB defence with a superb through ball to Conor Agnew just inside the box and he was bundled to the ground and referee Tom O'Sullivan had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

After dusting himself off Agnew gave the B Rovers goalie no chance drilling the ball low into the bottom corner.

LB regained their composure after this setback and it took a good save from Cedar goalie Paul Murphy deny Eoin O'Mahoney.

Then Cedar put a good attack together and Shane Coffey's shot was just wide.

Now Moussirine Ouro was making his presence felt up front for B Rovers and it took a great double save from Paul Murphy in the Galaxy goals to deny him in the 21st minute.

Then on the half hour mark Cedar went close with Shane Coffey getting on the end of a Ronan Walsh free kick but he directed his header wide.

Three minutes later the game was all square with a big of magical play.

One again the ever busy Eoin O'Mahoney masterminded the attack at midfield getting in the ball to Moussirine Ouro just outside the box with his back to the goals. He turned on a sixpence and planted a low shot into the bottom corner for a goal of sheer class.

Now LB were firing on all cylinders and they went close again with a Shane Joy effort just outside the post while Moussirine tried to chip the Cedar keeper but he just managed to get to it.

The LB manager rang out the changes at half time bringing on all three substitutes and it had a huge impact on the game with L B showing all the threat in the second half.

Cedar were most unlucky nine minutes into the second half when they unhinged the LB defence with a swift move with Adam Waterworth sending in a great cross to Pat Fuller and his low shot beat the L B goalie Darren O'Connor but it struck the butt of the post and the keeper got the ball at the second attempt.

Now LB got a firm grip on the game with Eoin O'Mahoney pulling the strings at midfield ably assisted by Stephen McSweeney Shane Joy and John Enright making darting runs out of defence and setting up attacks.

Stephen McSweeney latched on to a John Enright free kick and his header was just wide.

Then Cedar created an opening but Gavan Nolan's effort was too high.

LB had claims for a penalty in the 70th minute when Eoin O'Mahoney appeared to be fouled in the box.

However the decisive moment came in the 75th minute when LB turned on the style and Shane Joy let fly with a low shot from just outside the box which nestled in the corner of the net for a goal worthy of winning any game.

To their credit Cedar did not give up but they were running out of steam and LB ran out comfortable winners at the end.

Cedar won't be too disappointed with the result as their main focus of attention is on division 2B where they are very much in contention in the title race.

LB Rovers: Darren O'Connor, Eddie Houlihan, Sean Lyons, Anthony O'Connor, John Enright, Eoin O'Mahoney, Ger Gorman, Shane Joy, Stephen McSweeney, Moussirine Ouro, Jonathan Carr. Subs: Jackie Hegarty for Sean Lyons, Barry Shanahan for Jonathan Carr, Philip Moran for Eddie Houlihan.

Cedar Galaxy: Paul Murphy, Mike O'Connell, Mark Murphy, Gavan Nolan, Tomas Groves, Ronan Walsh, Maurice Lyne, Adam Waterworth, Pat Fuller, Shane Coffey, Conor Agnew. Subs: Stephen Murphy for Ronan Walsh, Brendan Fuller for Maurice Lyne.

Referee: Tom O Sullivan


Promoted Links

Promoted Links