Dynamos back to winning ways

AFTER a lapse of a few years due to their involvement in the League of Ireland A Championship Tralee Dynamos added silverware to their mantelpiece at Mounthawk Park on Friday.

Denny Division 1A Final

Tralee Dynamos 3

Killarney Celtic B 0

They were crowned Denny Division 1A champions after a comfortable win over Killarney Celtic B in a game that never rose to any great heights.

They came into this game as odds on favourites, but they were given a good run for their money by a Celtic side that kept battling away to the very end. Celtic did well possession-wise, but they were greatly lacking in penetration up front with the usually deadly Gintaras Paketaurus was well shackled by Jonathan Burrows. Any team that goes the whole league season unbeaten deserves the accolades and they were always in control of this game and there was only going to be one outcome at the end.

Early exchanges were even enough but Celtic had a good chance after 10 minutes with Gintaras Paketuaras and Robert Watson linking up to create and opening for Matt Keane and his shot was brilliantly blocked by Jonathan Burrows.

The deadlock was broken in the 17th minute after a Dynamos free kick when Brian Spillane slipped going for the ball and Danny Roche took advantage playing in Aaron Houlihan and he drilled low to the bottom corner from 10 yards. Then Dynamos had two more chances with Danny Roche firing wide from outside the box and James Wall heading a James Sugrue corner narrowly wide.

Celtic had a let off when their keeper James Hurley dropped a James Sugrue corner and they managed to scramble the ball to safety. There was a bit of confusion at half-time with referee Eddie O'Mahoney blowing up with three and a half minutes to go. As the players were walking off the pitch linesman Stuart Templeman informed the referee of the indiscretion and he summoned the players back to complete the full 45 minutes.

Celtic enjoyed a good spell of possession early in the second half but they rarely threatened the Dynamos goals. Just before the hour mark Dynamos established their authority on the game when Aaron Houlihan was hauled down inside the box by Brian Spillane and referee Eddie O'Mahoney pointed to the spot. James Sugrue planted the ball in the bottom corner but he had to retake it as the referee had not blown his whistle but he made no mistake on the second occasion either.

Celtic had a good 10 minute spell after this but everything was just breaking down when they got into the final third of the field. It was game set and match for Dynamos in the 79th minute when they took a free kick quickly in their own half and the ball was fed in to James Wall and from 35 yards he let fly with a thunderbolt of a shot which flew into the top corner for a goal of an exquisite nature.

It was now a matter of winding down the clock and Dynamos ended very deserving winners. They will now be playing in Premier B next season and should be back to the top flight of Kerry soccer after that. There was a great reception for the captain of the Dynamos side James Sugrue as he was presented with the cup by the chairman of the Kerry District League Sean O'Keeffe.

Tralee Dynamos: Chris Hegarty, Shane Carey, Maurice O Rahilly Mark Fitzgerald, Jonathan Burrows, Theo Diggins, Aaron Houlihan, James Sugrue, James Wall, Ivan Maher, Danny Roche Subs: Jamie Mc Intyre for Ivan Maher, Oliver Coffey for Shane Carey

Killarney Celtic B: James Hurley, Darren Cullinane, Eoin O Connell, Alan O Brien, Brian Spillane, Matt Keane, Gary Keane, Robert Watson, Stephen Devane, Jo Jo Fleming and Gintaras Paketuaras Subs: Vladimer Sirotiak for Darren Cullinane, Wayne Sparling for Stephen Devane

Referee: Eddie O Mahoney


Promoted Links

Promoted Links