Ballymac dominate CSCB to collect the club's first silverware

Denny Division 2A Final: Ballymac Celtic 4 CS Clochain Breannainn 1

Ballymac Celtic celebrate winning the Division 2A League Final at Mounthawk Park on Monday evening. Photo: Domnick Walsh
Ballymac Celtic celebrate winning the Division 2A League Final at Mounthawk Park on Monday evening. Photo: Domnick Walsh

Ballymac Celtic collected their first piece of silverware in their six-year history at Mounthawk Park on bank holiday Monday when the were crowned Division 2A League Champions after a great win over CS Clochain Breannainn (CSCB).

E2envisaged that the floods gates would open in the second with a stunning goal blitz by Ballymac which blew their opponents away and they cruised to a very comfortable win at the end.

On the night they were the much better side and the subs they introduced early in the second half also had a huge impact on the game.

Neither goalie was tested in a scrappy opening 45 minutes with both defences on top.

Gearoid Fitzgerald had a half chance for CSCB but he failed to find the target.

Then the West Kerry side forced a corner kick and when Cian O'Grady found Gearoid Fitzgerald his put his effort on goal over the top.

After this Ballymac really got into their stride and were winning the midfield battle with Tommy Sheridan the playmaker in the middle of the park spraying the ball around to good effect.

Michael Herlihy then had an effort from distance for Ballymac but his shot went over the top.

The sides went in scoreless at half time and it looked if the game was heading for a scoreless draw.

However the trend of play changed dramatically in the second half with Ballymac Celtic taking control of the game.

They introduced subs Francis Herlihy, Jack O'Shea and Vinny Murphy and now they were firing on all cylinders.

Up to this CSCB had been putting the shackles on Ballymac's ace striker Dwyer Tobin but they all changed in the 66th minute when the gifted striker ran on to a through ball and eventhough the CSCB goalie got a hand to his shot he could not keep it out of the net.

Ballymac took a firm grip on the game in the 79th minute when they were awarded a penalty after sub Vinny Murphy was taken down in the box.

Sub Jack O'Shea took the spot kick and he found the bottom corner of the net with great precision.

Five minutes later they put the game to bed with a goal of sheer class and a contender for the goal of the season.

It came after a free kick from midfield by Andrew Breen was was partially cleared

and Michael Herlihy ran on to the ball 5 yards outside the box he turned and delivered an exquisite shot which left the CSCB goalie motionless as it curled into the top corner of the net for a goal of exceptional quality.

There was a faint glimmer of hope for CSCB 2 minutes later when Gene Murphy pulled a goal back for the West Kerry side.

However that was as good as it got as shortly afterwards the CSCB keeper was taking the ball out of the net again when Jack O'Shea scored Ballymac's 4th goal.

It was a very good all round performance by the winners who were very worthy champions at the end.

Manager Adam Condon has done a great job with the team this season and is getting great help from Jonathan Keane. They move up a division next season and will be hoping to keep the momentum going.

Ballymac Celtic: Philip Healy, Ben Falvey (Francis Herlihy, 54), Christy Leen, Keith Hanafin, Andrew Breen, Darragh Regan, Michael Herlihy, (John Carroll 73), Gary Howard, Tommy Sheridan (Jack O'Shea, 57), Dwyer Tobin (Donal Dillane, 80) Kevin Browne (Vinny Murphy, 57).

CS Clochain Breannainn: Kevin Dowd, Mike Lyne, Jack Nix (Gene Murphy, 65), Tomas O'Connor, Gearoid Fitzgerald, Patrick O'Donoghue, Tim Moriarty, Sean O'Connor, Michael O'Dowd, Cian O'Grady, Donal Kennedy.

Referee: Tom O'Sullivan