Pobalscoil set up all Kerry Corn Uí Mhuirí final

Cathal Ó Lúing holds off this challenge by St. Michaels Liam Martin to look for options in their Colleges Senior A Football Semi-Final clash.
Photo Denis Byrne.
Cathal Ó Lúing holds off this challenge by St. Michaels Liam Martin to look for options in their Colleges Senior A Football Semi-Final clash. Photo Denis Byrne.

AFTER a frustrating weekend the previous week in two other spheres, Eamonn Fitzmaurice finally got on the winning end of a game last Sunday.

His Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne charges repeated their victory over De La Salle Macroom in the 2012 Corn Uí Mhuirí final to set up a mouth watering all Kerry final with St Brendan's College Killarney.

While both teams struggled with the difficult conditions in Knocknagree last Sunday, Pobalscoil did enough against the wind in the second-half to make a late Peter Kelliher goal on the stroke of full-time mere consolation for the Cork school.

Padraig Ó Dubhain was the cool head on the day his side needed to cope with the elements, the wing-forward putting over the first three points of the match from frees as the Pobalscoil defence practically went into lockdown in denying De La Salle any score in the opening quarter. Sean O'Sullivan finally got Macroom on the board in the 17th minute, but Pobalscoil used the wind to their advantage again in registering the next three scores.

Ó Dubhain's first point from play was an excellent effort, making up for some poor misses elsewhere, but a fifth Ó Dubhain point after Eanna Ó Conchuir put Pol Breathnach through to become Pobalscoil's second scorer seemed to give them a dominant position at 0-6 to 0-1 approaching half-time. The West Kerry school switched off for a slight period however as a second O'Sullivan point and two frees from Pa Lucey brought Macroom within two at the half-time whistle.

While Macroom hit the opening three scores of the second half to take the lead in the match for the first time by the 36th minute, they failed to push on despite the aid of the breeze. Tomas Ó Suilleabhain and Ó Dubhain quickly had Pobalscoil back in the lead but while Lucey's free in the 39th minute had the teams level again at 0-8 apiece, Macroom would endure a horrid final 20 minutes.

Eanna Ó Conchuir's deployment as a third midfielder proved crucial in giving Pobalscoil the iniative in that period. Ó Suilleabhain added another two frees as Ó Dubhain finished the game with a personal total of seven, but two points from Kerry Minor captain Ó Conchuir in the final 10 minutes were crucial to giving the defending champions enough of a cushion as the game entered injury-time.

His inter-county team-mate Cathal Ó Luing also made an important late block from De La Salle's James Moynihan as Padraig O Conchuir and Maitiu Ó Flatharta stood out in defence for Pobalscoil in the second-half.

In the 62nd minute Macroom substitute Michael Cronin's free bounced off the crossbar and although Pobalscoil keeper goalkeeper Daithi Ó Conchuir was adjudged to have carried Peter Kelleher's rebound over the line, Pobalscoil cleared one more final dangerous high ball to safety to set up their third competitive meeting with St Brendan's this season.

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne: Daithi Ó Conchuir, Brain O Beaglaoich, Cathal Ó Luing, Conor Ó Suilleabhain, Maitiu Ó Flatharta, Padraig Ó Conchuir, Marc Ó Conchuir, Barra Ó Suilleabhain, Caoimhín Ó Beaglaoich, Tomás Ó Sé, Pol Breathnach (0-1), Padraig Ó Dubhain (0-7, 0-5f), Tom Ó Suilleabhain (0-3, 0-2f), Eanna Ó Conchuir (0-2), Cathal Ó Bambaire Subs: Colm Ó Muirthuile for Breathnach and Robert Ó Sé for Ó Bambaire

De La Salle Macroom: Dylan Dineen. Ciaran Noonan, Dermot O'Callaghan, Kevin O'Dwyer, Shane Creedon, Sean Kelleher, Adam Healy, Peter Kelleher (1-0), Pa Lucey (0-5, 5f), Shane Foley, James Moynihan (0-1), Sean O'Sullivan (0-2), Padraig Berhanu, Barry O'Leary, John Murphy Subs: Daniel Cahalane for Creedon and Michael Cronin for Foley

Referee: Brian Tyrell (Tipperary)