Newly promoted Waterville defeat Dr Crokes

Jason O'Connor

IF Dr Crokes were looking for a game to ease themselves back into the swing of things after the disappointment of the All-Ireland Senior Club Championship defeat the previous month, then Waterville was the wrong place for them to go to as the South Kerry side pulled off a narrow one point win on their return to the top flight.

A superb cross field pass from Greg Gibson to Niall Fitzgerald for the winning score ensured a 1-8 to 0-10 win for the home side.

Barry O'Dwyer scored the game's only goal inside two minutes and that proved to be the difference between the two sides at 1-5 to 0-5 at the break despite the best efforts of Chris Brady and Daithi Casey for the Killarney side. The game flowed from end-to-end in the second-half with the visitors coming out with far more determination and they looked to have earned a share of the spoils when Casey converted two frees but Fitzgerald was on hand to give Waterville a memorable win.

Kilcummin's return to Division One wasn't as promising as they went down to a Killarney Legion side for the second time in five days following the latter's victory over the same opposition in the East Kerry U-21 Championship Final the previous Monday. It was only after a winning point from Legion's Billy Maguire in the seventh minute of stoppage time however as the home side won by 0-11 to 0-10. They had led by 0-6 to 0-5 at half-time but Kilcummin took the iniative in the second half (their 2012 Kerry Minors Kevin McCarthy and Kieran Murphy their only scorers on the day interestingly), however Daniel O'Leary's loss through injury affected the visitors as Padraig Lucey and Padraig O'Connor stepped up to the plate for Legion. Shane McSweeney and Eric O'Connor had impressed for the visitors but Kevin Breen's introduction and five points from David O'Sullivan kept Legion's noses in front. Kilcummin looked to have earned a draw in injury-time as the crowd began to file out but play continued until Maguire struck over the winning free of a tight contest.

Rathmore began their campaign with a 1-9 to 0-6 win over Laune Rangers, Kevin Flynn registering Rangers' only score of the first-half as Rathmore took in a 0-6 to 0-1 lead at half-time. Michael O'Riordan's goal finished the game as a contested after the restart, John Moynihan finishing with three points for the home side as Flynn finished with five points and Pa Sheehan was Rangers' only other points scorer on the day.

Like the Killorglin side Spa had a first half to forget down in Foilmore as they registered only one point as well in the opening period as opposed to 11 for St Michaels/Foilmore. Eanna O'Connor, Padraig King and Bernard Kelly were the East Kerry side's chief tormentors but they did improve in the second half, scoring a total of 1-5, Jamie Spillane their goalscorer, but they never looked like stopping a 0-17 to 1-6 win for the home side.

The other game played saw Milltown/Castlemaine record a 1-6 to 0-3 win away to Dingle despite being reduced to 14 men following Donal Kelliher's dismissal in the second half. A '45' from goalkeeper Gavin Curran, and points from Jack O'Sullivan and Michael Flannery in the first half were their only scores in the entire match as they endured a barren second-half, failing to score. Ian Twiss' goal had given the Mid Kerry side a 1-3 to 0-3 lead at the break as points from Pa Wrenn, Shane Murphy and Cathal Moriarty secure a six point win for the visitors.