Injury set-back for Moran

Brosnan and Lyne rated "50/50" by Diarmuid Murphy

PAul Brennan

Kerry football manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice will have to play the waiting game for the next week to see if three key injury worries can make their way off the treatment table in time for the Munster Championship opener against Tipperary in less than two weeks.

Selector Diarmuid Murphy, speaking at the official launch of the provincial championship in Mallow on Monday evening, stated that the management team cannot be sure if Eoin Brosnan, Jonathan Lyne or David Moran will it make back in time for the game in Killarney on May 26.

Murphy confirmed to The Kerryman that the trio are all still major concerns, with two of the three being at rated "fifty-fifty" at best.

Moran's rehabilitation from a serious of injuries suffered another set-back at the weekend when the Kerins O'Rahillys man suffered a serious eye injury during a challenge match against Laois on Saturday. Moran was caught by an elbow during a midfield battle for possession and had to undergo laser surgery in Cork on Sunday. The injury, at first considered very serious, is thought to be not as serious as first feared.

"David Moran had an operation on his eye (on Sunday) and it will be a week before we know how that went, but hopefully he will be back in the not too distant future," Murphy said, although the player will miss the opener against Tipperary and most probably a possible semi-final against Waterford six days later on June 1 also.

While the news seemed a little more positive on Eoin Brosnan and Jonathan Lyne, the duo are far from confirmed starters as they have only returned to the county set-up recently. Brosnan has been nursing the quad muscle injury he picked up in the early minutes of Kerry's final League game away to Tyrone on April 7, while Lyne twisted an ankle playing for Legion against St Michaels/Foilmore in a club championship match a couple of weeks ago.

"Both are back training now," Murphy confirmed "but it is hard to tell at this stage. I wouldn't like to rule either out as I want to give them every chance so we will really just have to wait and see. Call it fifty-fifty on both."


Promoted Links

Promoted Links