Dublin expose Kerry ladies' limitations in All-Ireland quarter-final

TG4 Ladies All-Ireland SFC quarter-final: Dublin 5-15 Kerry 2-9

Ciara Murphy of Kerry in action against Lyndsey Davey of Dublin during the TG4 All-Ireland Ladies Football Senior Championship Quarter-Final match between Dublin and Kerry
Ciara Murphy of Kerry in action against Lyndsey Davey of Dublin during the TG4 All-Ireland Ladies Football Senior Championship Quarter-Final match between Dublin and Kerry

Conor McKenna, Birr, County Offaly

Kerry ladies were eliminated from the All-Ireland Championship, after they suffered a 15-point defeat against Kerry, in O'Connor Park, Tullamore, on Monday.

Kerry were not too bad at all and may have been slightly more competitive than the score-line may suggest, but Dublin were definitely the better team and were deserving victors.

Kerry trailed by just two points at half time, although there was a breeze favouring Dublin in the second half, which was a factor in their dominance.

Kerry picked up a few injuries before the game which did not help their cause and the Kingdom opted to use Amy Foley as an extra defender in the first half.

Dublin are back to back All-Ireland champions for a reason and they showed why in the second half. Their semi-final against Cork promises to be a great game of football.

Kerry have had a reasonably positive championship campaign, competing with Galway were large periods and defeating Westmeath and there were certainly positive aspects to take from this display.

It was Dublin who opened the scoring with a free from Sinead Aherne, before Niamh McEvoy's effort doubled her sides advantage.

Kerry opened their account following a free from full forward Louise Ni Mhuircheartaigh, who was carrying an injury ahead of the game.

The games first goal came in the eighth minute and it arrived courtesy of Dublin forward Carla Rowe, who finished to the net to give her side a four-point lead.

Emma Dineen responded for Kerry with a neat effort and the Kingdom almost had a goal of their own, though Sarah Houlihan was denied by Dublin goalkeeper Ciara Trant.

Niamh McEvoy then scored Dublin's second goal around the quarter mark, when she fisted the ball to the net, after being set up by Sinead Aherne.

A score from Houlihan reduced the deficit to five points, although Dublin almost had a third goal, when Lyndsey Davey's shot was saved with five minutes remaining in the first half.

Houlihan found the net for Kerry's opening goal in the 27th minute, with a decent finish to the back of the Dublin net and Kerry were very much in the game at this juncture.

Dublin opened the second half scoring with a point from Carla Rowe, before the Metropolitans registered their third goal, with Aherne finishing to the net following a pass from substitute Caoimhe O'Connor.

Dublin added the next two points from Niamh McEvoy and Noelle Heally and Kerry had a huge mountain to climb at this stage, as they trailed by eight points.

Kerry substitute Miriam O'Keefe made an instant impact scoring 1-1 including quick succession. O'Keefe's goal was a good one, as the ball made it's way past Trant and into the net.

Dublin were not deterred by the set-back however and Sinead Aherne registered an excellent point, which was followed up with a goal from the same player to restore her sides eight point advantage midway through the second half.

Aherne added two further scores to leave the gap at ten, which was increased to 11 following Kate O'Sullivan's effort.

Ni Mhurcheartaigh responded with two points for Kerry to give them a glimmer of hope, although the game looked gone as a contest at this stage.

Niamh Hetherton scored Dublin's fifth goal with six minutes remaining and Kerry were playing purely for pride at this stage of proceedings.

Davey and Houlihan exchanged points and a further free from Houlihan turned out to be her sides final score of the game.

Dublin substitute Oonagh Whyte scored two points to stretch her sides lead to 13 and Dublin were ruthless and not prepared to ease off.

Kate Sullivan scored her second point and a late free from the excellent Aherne turned out to be the final score of the game, as Dublin held out for a 15-point victory.

Dublin face Cork in the All-Ireland semi-final, while Kerry's season ends with this defeat.

Dublin: Ciara Trant; Martha Byrne, Niamh Collins, Éabha Rutledge; Aoife Kane, Sinead Goldrick (0-1), Olwen Carey; Niamh McEvoy (1-2), Jennifer Dunne; Lauren Magee, Siobhan McGrath, Carla Rowe (1-1); Sinead Aherne (2-5, 3f), Noelle Healy (0-1), Lyndsey Davey (0-1). Subs: Caoimhe O'Connor for Dunne (30), Emma McDonagh for Collins (41), Oonagh Whyte (0-2) for Healy (47), Kate Sullivan (0-2) for Rowe (51), Niamh Hetherton (1-0) for McGrath (57).

Kerry: Laura Fitzgerald; Ciara O'Brien, Eilis Lynch, Laoise Coughlan; Aisling O'Connell, Tara Breen, Ciara Murphy; Lorraine Scanlon (0-1), Amanda Brosnan; Amy Foley, Anna Galvin, Emma Dineen (0-1); Sarah Houlihan (1-3, 1f), Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh (0-3, 2f), Siofra O'Shea. Subs: Sophie Lynch for Coughlan (17), Julie O'Sullivan for O'Connell (21, inj), Miriam O'Keeffe (1-1) for Dineen (42), Ella Teahan for Foley (49), Megan O'Connor for S O'Shea (51).

Referee: Gus Chapman (Sligo)

Main player

Sinead Aherne was outstanding for Dublin. Without doubt the player of the match.

Talking point

What level are Kerry at? Played okay throughout, but ultimately lost out by 15 points.

Key moment

Sinead Aherne's goal after half time, as it gave her side a seven point lead.