| 10.6°C Dublin

Croke Park beckons Kilmoyley after battle with Banagher

Loss of Adrian Royle to late red card the only dark spot on special day for Kilmoyley


Kilmoyley's Maurice O'Connor shoots a score against Banagher during the All Ireland Club IHC semi-final at the Connacht GAA centre of excellence on Sunday afternoon Photo by Ciara Buckley

Kilmoyley's Maurice O'Connor shoots a score against Banagher during the All Ireland Club IHC semi-final at the Connacht GAA centre of excellence on Sunday afternoon Photo by Ciara Buckley

Kilmoyley's Maurice O'Connor shoots a score against Banagher during the All Ireland Club IHC semi-final at the Connacht GAA centre of excellence on Sunday afternoon Photo by Ciara Buckley



Kilmoyley 2-15

Banagher 1-12

Kilmoyley were made to sweat, they were forced, yet again, to dig deep within themselves by a doggedly determined Banagher. When push came to shove, however, they showed their trademark resolve to weather the storm and a claim a deserved place in the All Ireland final.

This is Kerry Newsletter

The top stories from the Kingdom in news and sport, direct to your inbox every week

This field is required

There were times when one might have been left to wonder if it was going to be their day – the third quarter in particular when Banagher looked for a spell well on top of the fixture – but that’s just meat and drink to the Naomh Páirc Erc outfit.

They didn’t doubt themselves, they didn’t panic, and while the they didn’t play with the sort of sparking authority they did in the Gaelic Grounds two weekends past, they still had enough about themselves to strike back at the opposition.

Having found themselves three points down in that third quarter, with hardly anything going their way, shooting four wides in a ten minute spell, losing most of the fifty / fifty balls, they somehow found it within themselves to go clear at the second water break.

That was it. The winning and the losing of the game. More so even than Maurice O’Connor’s brilliant goal early in the final quarter, as important as that clearly was.

No, getting their noses back in front of Banagher was the sort of psychological blow that will win you a game. Convincing themselves – as if they needed convincing – that this game was there for the taking and putting doubts in Banagher minds at the end of their brightest spell in the game.

To be fair to the Derry men they hit this game with everything they had, bringing a serious intensity to the Connacht Centre of Excellence and for quite a lot of the game putting Kilmoyley on the backfoot.

True enough it was a nervy sort of a game. One of those days that proves the old adage about semi-finals being for winning, but more than anything it was a hard-fought battle with neither side giving an inch. 

Both teams missed a host of chances as the wind swept across the pitch making it trickier than it might have appeared at face value, but more than anything both sets of players were under pressure, from the occasion and equally, if not more so, from their opposite numbers.

Banagher started the game well enough and looked the slightly more up for it side, with Kilmoyley taking their time to get into the game. That said the Ulster men missed a lot of early chances, surrendering their chance to put distance between themselves and their rivals with the breeze at their backs for the first half.

After ten minutes they were two down to Kilmoyley – man of the match Jordan Brick and Maurice O’Connor on the scoresheet – but really the Kerry champions ought probably to have been further in front when a Daniel Collins penalty – for a foul by Mark Lynch on David McCarthy – was saved by Darrell McDermott.

Kilmoyley did eventually breach the Banagher goal, and just before the first water break too, with Maurice O’Connor shooting to the net after Adrian Royle dispossessed the Derry keeper. 

That’s the thing about this Kilmoyley performance. It may not have been vintage, but time and again they showed the ability to score at those vital moments. That’s what champions do.

With O’Connor’s goal they were 1-2 to 0-3 up and, while Banagher rallied in the second quarter to cut the gap to just a single score (and really taking into account the chances they missed the Derry men should have been in an even stronger position), Kilmoyley would have been fairly satisfied to have carried a lead at the break, 1-5 to 0-7.

What they and manager John Meyler won’t have been satisfied with is their start to the second half. We’ve already mentioned the four missed chances inside the opening seven or eight minutes of the half, but more so there was a listlessness to Kilmoyley in this spell. 

Again, though, you’ve got to credit Banagher. They made the running in that period starting with a brilliantly taken goal from Stefan McCloskey, having taken an assist from the impressive Brian Óg McGilligan.

For the first time since midway through the first half the Ulster champions were in front and with a roar from their large crowd growing louder with each passing moment it really did feel like all the momentum was with them.

Eleven minutes into the second half Banagher had their advantage out to three – 1-8 to 1-5 – following a Liam Eoin Campbell free. You know what they say, though, sometimes it really is darkest before the dawn.

It was from this position that Kilmoyley clicked into gear. First with a Daniel Collins free just in front of the posts. Having missed a few from distance before that, it was just the fillip the centre-forward needed. Indeed from there he went on to dominate the rest of the game, scoring eight points from that 42nd minute free onwards.

Collins shot another three points – two from placed balls – before the second water break to give Kilmoyley the lead again, 1-9 to 1-8. The tide had really turned.

The full extent of the switch made plain when second half sub Dáire Nolan set Maurice O’Connor free just after the break to score his second goal of the game, giving Kilmoyley a four point advantage, 2-9 to 1-8. And, really, it felt like that was that.

Of course, Banagher kept battling on to the very end, but with that buffer Kilmoyley were able to keep their rivals at arm’s length with a score here and there, mostly from Colins, but with the exceptional Jordan Brick – always an outlet for his side under the dropping ball – also chipping in.

The only real blight on the occasion from a Kilmoyley point of view was the loss of Adrian Royle in injury time to a straight red card, which may jeopardise his chances of running out with his colleagues in the All Ireland final in early February.

You’d hope not as that day in Croke Park promises to be something very special indeed. Kerry hurling – let alone Kilmoyley hurling – has rarely known days like these.

Enjoy it while you can. 

KILMOYLEY: John Brendan O’Halloran, Dónal Kennedy, Colman Savage, Flor McCarthy, Robert Collins, Dougie Fitzell, Tom Murnane, Matthew Flaherty, Paudie O’Connor (0-1), Kieran McCarthy, Daniel Collins (0-9, 6f), David McCarthy, Jordan Brick (0-4), Adrian Royle, Maurice O’Connor (2-1) Subs: Ronan Walsh for K McCarthy, 37, Dáire Nolan for D McCarthy, 43

BANAGHER: Darrell McDermott, Gabriel Farren, Ruairí McCloskey, Cathair McGilligan, Niall Farren, Darragh McCloskey, Mark Lynch, Oisín McCloskey (0-1), Brian Óg McGilligan, Shane Murphy (0-1), Tiarnan McCloskey (0-4, 3f), Ciarán Lynch, Liam Eoin Campbell (0-4f), Seán McCullagh, Stefan McCloskey (1-2) Subs: PJ McCloskey for C Lynch, 41, Tiarnan Moore for G Farren, 41, Pauric McCloskey for LE Campbell, 50

REFEREE: Brian Keon (Galway)