Crokes rise to see off Currow

Aine Ni Shilleabhin

Aquila Club

O'Donoghue Cup

Semi Final

Dr Crokes 3-15

Currow 1-12

DR Crokes qualified for the Aquila Club O'Donoghue Cup Final in a sporting game, with great team play and skill, played in Fitzgerald Stadium last Saturday.

As both sides had similar colour strips, Dr Crokes lined out in white with a yellow band and Currow lined out in yellow. Dr Crokes got off to a strong start with a Johnny Buckley goal on the fourth minute.

Currow replied, with a point by Currow's Johnny Buckley, but it was Dr Crokes that found the target with six unanswered points, in the next ten minutes through Alan O'Sullivan, Brian Looney (2), Michael Burns (2) and Johnny Buckley.

Play varied from end to end of the field, and there were a scatter of points with Currow notching two from Johnny Buckley and Seamus Scanlon, who won the kick-out and scored, Dr Crokes responding with three Kieran O'Leary (2) and Johnny Buckley, and Currow answering with two from Daniel O'Shea.

With a minute remaining in the half, Dáithí Casey picked out Kieran O'Leary, who found the net for a second Dr Crokes goal, giving Currow a mountain to climb. Currow's Johnny Buckley pointed in the last minute of the half. Score at the short whistle: Dr Crokes 2-9 Currow 0-6.

Both teams brought on a substitute for the start of the second half. Mark Egan replaced Luke Quinn for Dr Crokes, and Pat O'Sullivan replaced John Daly on the Currow team. Currow dominated the early part of the third quarter, scoring four unanswered points in ten minutes, to narrow the margin to five points.

Dr Crokes made a number of changes including introducing Brian O'Shea and moving Eoin Brosnan to full-back and immediately found the target with three points in quick succession. Currow made some changes and brought on Padraig O'Shea.

Kevin Daly reduced the Dr Crokes lead with a point. With ten minutes remaining, Dr Crokes brought on Jason Lyne in place of Michael Burns and the side fired over three points in four minutes.

Dr Crokes sealed their victory with five minutes remaining, when Johnny Buckley dropped a high ball to the edge of the 'square' where a well positioned Kieran O'Leary capitalised and found the net with a very well taken goal. Both teams brought on substitutes, Johnny O'Leary, joined his two brothers on the Dr Crokes team and Davitt O'Callaghan replaced Paudie Collins on the Currow team.

It was Currow that had the last two scores of the game. Dan O'Shea pounced for an opportunistic goal and Padraig O'Shea pointed in the last minute, to leave the sides having notched up the same number of scores each in the second half.

Dr Crokes: David Moloney, Luke Quinn, Michael Moloney, John Payne, Kieran Ward, Shane Doolan, David O'Leary, Eoin Brosnan, Johnny Buckley(1-2), Micheal Burns (0-2), Daithi Casey (0-2), Brian Looney (0-5), Kieran O'Leary (2-3), Alan O'Sullivan(0-1), Gavin O'Shea. Substitutions: Mark Egan for Luke Quinn, Brian O'Shea on for John Payne, Jason Lyne on for Michael Burns, Johnny O'Leary on for David Moloney

Currow: Shane O'Leary, Dan O'Sullivan, Timmy O'Leary, Mike Hannifin, John O'Connor, Cathal Daly (0-1), Eugene Cronin, Seamus Scanlon (0-1) , Paudie Collins, Seamus Brosnan, Dan O'Shea (1-1), John Daly, Mike McCarthy (0-1), John Buckley (0-6), Kevin Daly (0-1). Subs: Pat O'Sullivan for John Daly, Padraig O'Shea (0-1) for Eugene Cronin, Davitt O'Callaghan for Paudie Collins

Referee: Jimmy O'Shea (Glenflesk)