The Kilcummin sewer scheme now delayed until next year
Cllr Donal Grady 'gobsmacked' by lack of progress on key project
Kerry County Council has confirmed that work will start on the Kilcummin Sewerage Scheme in 2020 - more than 13 years since discussions around the planned scheme began, and a further year after the last estimated start date.
Planning permission for the €3m scheme was granted in 2017 and upheld by An Bord Pleanála last year after Inland Fisheries Ireland raised issues about the potential impacts on water quality.
Then, in December, the council had stated that Irish Water intended to issue the tender for the project early in 2019, with a view to starting construction later this year.
A meeting of Killarney Municipal District this month was told that Irish Water is advancing the project and is carrying out investigative works in the locality, which is a long-awaited and has delayed roadworks and housing applications in the Kilcummin area.
The council also confirmed that negotiations on land acquisition is ongoing - a response that angered Cllr Donal Grady who said he was simply 'gobsmacked' that this was still being done given that the project has been on the cards for many years.
"I am gobsmacked to think that we are still looking at land acquisition. This is unreal," he remarked.
Anger was also expressed by Cllr Brendan Cronin on the delays whos said this week that the delay is " dreadfully frustrating" for all concerned.
"The public are just sick of it," he said.
A number of motions about the Kilcummin Sewerage Scheme were put on the agenda for the recent Killarney Municipal Meeting, and management said the project would go out tender shortly.
Once site investigation works and land acquisition negotiations are finalised, the project will go to tender. Management added that it is hoped construction will now begin in 2020.
A meeting will take place with Irish Water in Kilcummin on April 3 at 6pm in the hall and everyone is urged to attend this meeting.