Teens accused of over €7k-worth of criminal damage on home

Two teenagers accused of causing over €7,000-worth of criminal damage on a house in Listowel occupied at the time by two children, a woman and three men, one of whom was elderly, were remanded on bail from Listowel District Court on Thursday.

The occupants of the house were in the sitting room when the window was smashed in by the teenagers armed with hammers, an axe and a pool cue, gardaí told the Court.

The teenagers, who cannot be named as they are underage (one is 16, the other 17), were questioned separately at Listowel and Ballybunion Garda Stations after their arrest in relation to the incident, which occurred at 12.30am on Sunday, March 31, in an estate in Listowel.

Judge David Waters heard that a Waterford Crystal 'Reginald Tower' worth €4,500, which was positioned on the windowsill, was also damaged in the course of the incident.

They were both charged with one count each of criminal damage contrary to section two of the Criminal Damage Act. The charge also encompassed alleged damaged on a car parked in the driveway of the home - with the youths accused of having smashed windows on the car.

The 16-year-old replied 'No Shane', when charged and cautioned, Listowel Garda Detective Shane O'Driscoll said.

The 17-year-old made no reply to the charge, meanwhile.

Gardaí applied for an adjournment in the case, citing the preparation of a file for the Director of Public Prosecutions on the matter, in a hearing that was held in private chambers away from the public gallery on Thursday.

Solicitor for both teens Pa Daly applied for bail in the case.

Bail was granted the youths, subject to strict conditions:

That they abide by a curfew between 9pm and 8am; that they stay away from the estate in which the incident occured; that they do not interfere with witnesses in the case and that they sign on at a garda station every Monday and Friday.

Judge Waters adjourned the case for a file to be prepared to the DPP.

He also warned them that any breach would result in them being remanded in custody to Oberstown Detention Centre.