Roads open after Dysert Bridge work

N23 road now re-open following replacement of Dysert Bridge

Simon Brouder

The main Castleisland-Farranfore road has re-opened to traffic over two weeks ahead of schedule, following the construction of a new bridge at Dysert.

Following the closure of the N23 route at the end of May, work has been completed on the replacement of the Dysert Bridge as well as the upgrading and resurfacing of the road on both approaches to the bridge.

The road re-opened to two-way traffic on Friday afternoon.

Signage on the approach roads has been amended to advise motorists that the road has re-opened.

Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Operations with Kerry County Council, Charlie O'Sullivan, said that every effort was made to have the road re-opened as quickly as possible.

'Because this work involved the demolition of what was a dangerous bridge on a national primary road, we had no choice but to close the road to allow for the construction of the new bridge. This was to ensure public safety while a new bridge was being built,' he said.

'Kerry County Council acknowledges that this road closure caused disruption for motorists, local residents and local businesses over a long period.

"We appreciate the patience and co-operation of all road users and the business community in Castleisland and Farranfore in particular.

"I am pleased that we have been able to complete this project ahead of schedule and ahead of the busy Bank Holiday Weekend as well as ensuring a significantly improved and safer route for all road users,' Mr O'Sullivan said.

The reopening of the road will come as welcome news for residents living along the various back roads, on which traffic had been diverted during the road works; and by business owners in Farranfore and Castleisland, whose trade was affected by the closure.

Kerryman

News