Currow celebrates diamond jubilee of its parish church
Bishop of Kerry Ray Browne was the chief celebrant at a special Mass to mark the Diamond Jubilee of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Currow on Friday.
There was a large attendance of over 150 people, which included the 2018 First Holy Communion class from Scoil Mhuire agus Naomh Treasa, the national school in Currow.
There was also a number of photographs of the official opening in 1958 on display in the Church on the night.
The Mass was concelebrated by Canon Denis O'Mahony, Fr William Collins, Fr Gearoid Walsh and Fr Martin Spillane, all natives of Currow.
They were joined on the altar by two former Parish Priests, Fr Pat Sugrue and Fr Nicholas Flynn. Fr Sean Horgan, Rev Thady O'Connor and Fr John Buckley also assisted at the Mass.
Fr Martin Spillane preached the homily, meanwhile. The foundation stone for the Church was blessed by Bishop Moynihan on February 11, 1957, the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. After 16 months of construction, it was blessed and officially dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on June 2, 1958.
The previous Church on a site close by had served the Currow community for 140 years. After the Mass, refreshments were served in the Killeentierna Parish Centre to which all were invited.
This was organised by the Killeentierna Pastoral Council who provided all the food and looked after all on the night. The night of celebration went down great with all who attended.
Killeentierna Parish Priest Fr John Buckley thanked all who helped him in making the night such a success.