Templenoe, Kenmare, Beaufort and Firies get their county league campaigns off to winning start

County Senior Football League Division 2 Round 1

Currow corner forward, Jack Moriarty holds possession in spite of the pressure from Firies midfielder Jack Sherwood (left) and corner back Brian O'Leary in their Credit Union County League Division 2 Round 1 game in Currow on Sunday. Photo by John Reidy

John O'DowdKerryman

Neighbours Templenoe and Kenmare Shamrocks got their respective Division 2 campaigns off to a winning start, on a weekend that saw Beaufort and Firies also emerge victorious, while An Ghaeltacht and Na Gaeil played out a draw.

With Mike Crowley returning for a second stint in charge of Templenoe, it took two late goals from Sean Sheehan and Stephen O’Sullivan to see off the determined challenge of Liam Hassett’s Laune Rangers in a proverbial thriller, 3-11 to 1-13.

Wind advantage in the opening half, and with Gavin Crowley excelling at midfield, enabled the home side to lead by four points at the interval, 1-6 to 0-5, with Aidan Crowley getting the goal. But the Killorglin men were a different outfit on the resumption.

Inspired by substitutes John Burke (0-4) and Eoghan Hassett (1-3), Laune Rangers took the game to the opposition and, entering the last five minutes, it was anybody’s contest. However, with their double green flag burst, Templenoe finished in style.

Meanwhile, at Fr Breen Park, a superb first half performance from the home team proved the catalyst for a comfortable victory over St Mary’s, 1-12 to 0-7, as Kenmare Shamrocks aim to bounce back to the top flight at the first attempt.

David Hallissey’s 28th minute goal was the icing on the cake of a power-packed Shamrocks’ opening half, and when they retired with a ten-point cushion, 1-8 to 0-1, they were home and dry. Anthony Cournane provided St Mary’s’ only score in that half.

The Cahersiveen outfit were better in the second half, and Kenmare goalkeeper Kieran Fitzgibbon was forced into making a few fine stops. In saying that, the home team never looked likely to lose the initiative, Darren Allman top scoring with 0-6.

In the Mid Kerry derby in Glenbeigh, visitors Beaufort benefitted from a brace of goals in the opening five minutes of the second half to run out winners by a six-point margin, 4-6 to 1-9, with Sean O’Brien producing a notable individual display.

Darragh O’Connor’s goal, and two fine points from O’Brien, had Beaufort ahead by the minimum at the interval, 1-3 to 0-5, Gavan O’Grady accounting for the Glenbeigh/Glencar tally, including three from placed balls.

Well in the game at that juncture, and with Beaufort down to 14 men, Glenbeigh/Glencar would have fancied their chances, but green flags from Niall Carey and O’Brien stopped them in their tracks. Even though Colin McGillycuddy soon replied with a goal of his own, the winners hit their fourth from Ciaran Kennedy near the finish.

Firies kept Currow scoreless in the second half as they really took advantage of the elements to run out convincing winners, 0-13 to 0-5, with Pa McCarthy’s four pointed frees, and an effort from play by Sean Brosnan, the home side’s only replies.

Currow did lead by a point, 0-5 to 0-4, at the break, but it was all Firies on the resumption, with youngsters Stephen Palmer and James Horgan impressing. The county junior champions also got great impact off the bench, Padraig De Brun and Cian Doe both firing over a brace of points.

Finally, Na Gaeil came from six points down early in the second half to force a late draw with An Ghaeltacht at Gallarus, 0-9 apiece. The home side were four points clear, 0-6 to 0-2, before notching the first two scores of the second half, midfielder Cathal O Beaglaoich impressing with three points.

With wind advantage, the Tralee side fought back, with Jack Sheehan and substitute Eoin O’Neill on the mark, but sharp-shooter Dara Devine, with 0-7, was the key man, while Dara O Se (0-4), Rob O Se and Cathal O Fiannachta also registered for An Ghaeltacht.