Vokes puts injury nightmare behind him with equaliser

Burnley's Sam Vokes (left) and Tottenham Hotspur's Nacer Chadli

By Eleanor Crooks

Sam Vokes put nine months of injury hell behind him with the equaliser as Burnley held Tottenham to a 1-1 draw in the third round of the FA Cup at Turf Moor.

Vokes' last goal came in a 2-0 Championship win over Doncaster on March 25, four days before he ruptured his cruciate ligament. Making only his second substitute appearance since, the striker produced a confident finish in the 73rd minute to cancel out Nacer Chadli's 56th-minute opener and force a replay, with the winners to meet Leicester.

This was a repeat of the 1962 FA Cup final, won 3-1 by Spurs, and Burnley produced a special programme cover to mark the occasion.

Fans had travelled in impressive numbers from north London but the home supporters were less enthusiastic, with only three stands open for the game.

The low-key atmosphere translated onto the pitch and neither side produced anything of real note during a distinctly lacklustre first half.

Tottenham enjoyed the majority of the possession but Burnley's makeshift defence stood up very well and Tom Heaton's goal was not threatened.

Mauricio Pochettino reacted at half-time by sending on free-scoring Harry Kane for Benjamin Stambouli, who had picked up an early booking for pulling back Michael Kightly.

Spurs were more incisive from kick-off in the second half and the visitors who opened the scoring in the 56th minute through Chadli.

Kane picked out Ben Davies on the left and his cross was controlled neatly by Chadli, who shot past Heaton with the aid of a deflection off Ben Mee. Spurs almost had a second moments later as Kane broke into the box but Heaton stood up to block his effort.

Sean Dyche turned to his substitutes and sent on Vokes and the striker earned the moment he has been waiting nine months for. He was perfectly positioned in the centre of the box to guide Kightly's cross into the far corner before being mobbed by his team-mates.

Tottenham came closest to a winner, with Mee blocking from Eriksen and Kane screwing wide, but they had to settle for a replay at White Hart Lane.