Three men remanded on gun charges after gangland feud probe

Gary Thompson

Glen Thomspon

Robert Brown

thumbnail: Gary Thompson
thumbnail: Glen Thomspon
thumbnail: Robert Brown
Eimear Cotter

Three men allegedly caught with a submachine gun, revolver and two pistols following a garda investigation into the Hutch-Kinahan feud have been remanded in custody.

Gary Thompson (33), his brother Glen (23) and Robert Brown (35) were arrested by detectives in Dublin's north inner city last Saturday night.

They had been expected to make applications for bail, but have yet to do so.


Judge Grainne O'Neill remanded all three in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court next Tuesday.

They will appear before the court via video link at 10am after gardai made the request for security reasons.

Gary Thompson, of Plunkett Green, Finglas; Glen Thompson, of Plunkett Drive, Finglas; and Robert Brown, of Phibsborough Road, Phibsborough, are charged with unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition.

The alleged incident took place at Belmont Apartments, Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, on March 10.

It is alleged that the men were in possession of a submachine gun, a .38 revolver and two pistols as well as 42 rounds of various ammunition.

They are also charged with possession of a stolen car at the same location.

Det Gda Paul Kane, from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau, gave details of arresting Glen Thompson at Clontarf Garda Station late on Wednesday night.

Gda Kane said Mr Thompson was handed a true copy of each charge sheet and he made no reply to the charges after caution.

Gda Ian Pemberton gave details of arresting Mr Brown at Store Street Garda Station shortly after 11pm on Wednesday.

Gda Pemberton said Mr Brown replied "not guilty" to the charge sheets.

Gda Liam Aherne gave evidence of arresting and charging Gary Thompson at Store Street Garda Station at 11.29pm on Wednesday.

He said "no reply" to the charges after caution.

Defence lawyer Dean Kelly said the men were not applying for bail.

Judge O'Neill asked that the State be put on notice when the accused propose to make bail applications.

Applications for free legal aid were deferred until the next court date.