| 7°C Dublin

Temp Head - Tide turns for Clanns RAYTOWN

Tide turns for Clanns RAYTOWN was rocking. Clanna Gael Fontenoy and St Sylvester's in the Tesco Dublin Senior Championship. It finished in a draw – 2-4 for Clanns and 1-7 to Syls.

A humdinger. And an hour that matched the scenery of Ringsend and Sandymount. The good evenings gets people off the couch – walkers, bikers, joggers and bloggers.

The area around Clanna Gael is a haven. The tide was out but Clanns eye was in. They dominated most of the match. They defended brilliantly. They looked fit. They often broke from the back with menace.

Rachael Byrne was marking Sinead Aherne. If Sinead had decided to climb to the top of the Pigeon House to look across to Howth, Rachael would have been on her laces.

The Fontenoy Fusiliers strove for every breaking ball. They gave Syls no time to settle. And had they taken all their chances, they would have felt more comfortable when it was time for the Kit-Kats.



Clanns attacked the sea-end. They were 1-2 to 0-1 ahead at the break. The goal came from a flowing move which was concluded by Grace Dunne, who has given such sterling service to the club.

Katie Slattery's free opened the Malahide account. Niamh Hurley then saw her shot bounce back off the inside of the home post.

Nine minutes from time, as Syls trailed by six points, Slattery produced a left-footed thunderbolt of a free that roared under the slates. And quick points from Niamh McEvoy, Slattery (free) and Aherne had them level on 54 minutes.

Syls then went three points clear with strikes from Kim White, Slattery and Hurley. Three minutes remaining and it looked all over for the hosts.

But then came a goal that they'll toast in Dublin 4 for many moons to come. Fifty-eight minutes on the watch. Clanns needed inspiration. Urgently. Right half-back, Susan Vaughan, moved forward with purpose.

She brushed past a couple of challenges. And then a couple more. Referee, Tony Clarke, had the whistle in his lips. He played the advantage. And it allowed Susan crack in a shot that almost saw the netting sail across the road to Ringsend Park. What a goal. And what a way to end the drama. A marvellous match. Wonderful entertainment.