| 9.3°C Dublin

Zamora's injury caps a costly night for Cottagers

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson will await the outcome of an X-ray on in-form striker Bobby Zamora after the player was forced off in last night's 3-2 defeat at Stoke.

The forward has scored 11 goals this season but Hodgson expects to have to do without his services for a while after a challenge with Potters captain Abdoulaye Faye early in the second half saw the player crash to the floor.

When he eventually got up he made his way to the touchline gingerly supporting his right arm. Initial reports from the physio suggest it is either a dislocated shoulder or collarbone.

"It is bad. It is a dislocation -- I don't know whether it is a collar bone or a shoulder but either way it is a bad injury," said Hodgson, who admitted it had been a costly night for the side after centre-back Brede Hangeland went off at half-time.

"It is a very expensive day for us. We were forced to replace Hangeland at half-time with a recurrence of his knee injury and we lost Zamora early in the second half and we have also lost the game."

The Cottagers fell behind to Tuncay Sanli's close-range header from a 12th-minute corner and then conceded goals to Faye and Mamady Sidibe twice within three minutes just after the half-hour.

Damien Duff pulled one back in the 61st minute with a deflected shot before Clint Dempsey's stunning volley five minutes from time set up a rousing finale.


"I thought we did well to come out in the second half after conceding those disastrous goals in the first half," added Hodgson

"I didn't think we were particularly out-played in the first half but 3-0 in any league is a very difficult deficit to come back from.

"I thought we gave it our best shot and I just wish the game had gone on for another 10 minutes -- who knows, we might have sneaked one in."

Stoke's victory was their first since in the league since November 22 and ended a run of six league matches without a win, in which they had failed to score in all but one.

"I thought it was a very good first-half performance and we could have scored more goals to be honest," said manager Tony Pulis. "We really pressed them in and got after them and I thought we did really well and looked tight together.

"Fair play to Fulham in the second half, they came out and pushed bodies forward and made it nervous for us."