| 12.7°C Dublin

Sarri looks for a new Cesc

Close

Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas

Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas

Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas

Maurizio Sarri wants a new midfielder for Chelsea after advising Cesc Fabregas to leave the club for the good of his career.

The Blues boss, speaking ahead of tonight's League Cup semi-final first leg with Tottenham, insisted Callum Hudson-Odoi was "ready" for big games and that the 18-year-old's future was at Stamford Bridge.

But Sarri insisted Fabregas - at the other end of the age spectrum in Chelsea's squad - should seek to complete an anticipated move to Monaco, after the 31-year-old appeared to bid farewell to Chelsea following last Saturday's FA Cup win over Nottingham Forest.

"In my opinion, he needs to go," Sarri said. "You know very well the situation. You know very well in this club there is a rule: the renewal of players over 30 is usually one year.

"He has an offer for two years. I don't want a very important player as Cesc unhappy.

"If Cesc will go, of course we need a replacement."

Sarri said Fabregas suffered cramp against Forest and may not be available to face Spurs, although Eden Hazard and David Luiz were among those to suggest after the match that it was the Spaniard's farewell.

The Blues boss said Fabregas had a "free day" on Sunday, refusing to confirm or deny reports the playmaker went to France to meet with Monaco.

Thierry Henry, Fabregas' former team-mate at Arsenal, is now Monaco boss.

Henry said yesterday, according to Monaco's official Twitter account: "Since I left Arsenal, we talk every two or three days and that hasn't changed in recent days. Cesc is a player who interests every club."

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is out of the Spurs fixture, with Chelsea seeking to determine the full extent of his back problem.

Forwards Pedro, Willian (both hamstring) and striker Olivier Giroud (ankle) have returned to training following injury and could be in contention to play.

Hudson-Odoi should be in the squad after providing both goals for Alvaro Morata against Forest.

Linked

The teenager has also been linked with a move, to German giants Bayern Munich, with 18 months remaining on his current contract and the offer of a new deal with Chelsea as yet unsigned.

Sarri said: "For me, he's a very important player. I think to stay here is better for him. He's an English player.

"He's very young. He has a very great future here, in England, with the national team and with Chelsea.

"We have very important players in the same position. (But) I think now he is ready.

"Sometimes he will be on the bench, as Willian, as Pedro. Now I can start to consider him at the same level (as Willian and Pedro)."

Sarri also called for the club's fans to support their team and not sing offensive songs about opponents Tottenham tonight.

Blues fans have been under the spotlight in recent weeks after a number of high-profile incidents including a derogatory chant about Spurs supporters, featuring alleged anti-Semitic language, at a Europa League match in Hungary last month.

Sarri is hoping the disappointment of defeat to Spurs last November may drive his players in tonight's Carabao Cup semi-final first leg.

"I saw my players in the dressing room after the match. They were destroyed," Sarri said. "I realised the real situation. I realised that the match against Tottenham is a very important match for the club, the fans and the players."


Privacy