| 11.2°C Dublin

Sallynoggin double up

Sallynoggin College had a week to remember with two stunning wins in the space of 24 hours to see them advance to the closing stages of major third level football competitions.

Luke Massey was their hero on Tuesday hitting the only goal against Colaiste Ide B side as the Co Dublin boys claimed a semi final place in the Colleges and Universities League Division One.

The following day Stephen Murphy's charges were back in action again and they continued their fine form to cause a major shock by edging out visitors Premier League Cork IT in a thrilling Colleges FAI Umbro Cup second round tie.

A stoppage-time strike from Gary Murphy clinched the win after the homesters Peter Finnegan and Kenny Murphy for Cork had swapped goals that looked like sending the game into extra-time.

"Extra-time was something I wasn't looking forward to as the lads were really feeling the effects of two games in 24 hours," said Sallynoggin manager Murphy. "I made several changes in a effort to freshen up the side after the win over Colaiste Ide but the bulk of the lads played in both games."

Stand in 'keeper Derek Byrne was in top form as the Cork boys failed in their many efforts to put the ball past him and Murphy's late winning strike finally completed a memorable two days football for the Sallynoggin boys.

Sallynoggin return to league business on Wednesday when they face National College of Ireland at Greystones FC All Weather in the Colleges and Universities League Division One Semi Final.

While the Colleges FAI Umbro Cup Quarter Final draw has given them a home tie against Colaiste Ide's Premier League side later in the month.

Ide had a surprise six goal Umbro Cup win at a previously in form Belfast Metropolitan College. After a tight scoreless opening half Danny Crowley's boys struck top form after the break to hammer home the goals.

Niall McCabe and Anthony Hewitt managed two apiece while Eric Brown's header and a fine right footed volley from Darragh Mooney completed the total.

There were comfortable away wins for Premier League semi finalists' DIT at GMIT Castlebar and Letterkenny IT at Dundalk IT.

The Dublin side made the last eight thanks to double strikes from Conor Corcoran and their impressive winger Richie O'Farrell.

Letterkenny recovered from their recent Premier League Quarter Final defeat by DIT to get back on track with a 5-0 win at Dundalk IT.

Elsewhere, Liam Murphy's Colaiste Stiofain Naofa continued their fine Umbro Cup form to knock out Dublin big guns IT Tallaght.The Cork boys with former UCD man John Dineen impressing at centre back needed an extra time winner from Dean Grainger to get them past Pat Scully's charges short several regulars at Peamount.

Eoin Forde opening the scoring on 20 minutes but Michael Isichei had pulled Tallaght level with just over ten minutes remaining only for Grainger to grab the winner.

Waterford IT looked to be on top at Division One Limerick IT when a Shane Morrissey goal gave them a comfortable half time lead. But second half strikes from Chris Griffin and Kevin Nolan sent the Shannonsiders into the quarter finals.