| 14.4°C Dublin

Revenge a dish best served hot for Liverpool


Firminho celebrates scoring his side's third goal Photo: Reuters / Phil Noble

Firminho celebrates scoring his side's third goal Photo: Reuters / Phil Noble

Firminho celebrates scoring his side's third goal Photo: Reuters / Phil Noble

Liverpool gained some revenge for their Capital One Cup final defeat with a 3-0 victory which put a huge dent in Manchester City's title ambitions.

A re-run of their Wembley encounter three days later produced a completely different game and result with goals inside the first hour from Adam Lallana, James Milner and Roberto Firmino.

It inflicted City's third successive Premier League defeat - something they had not experienced for seven years - and more significantly left them trailing leaders Leicester by 10 points, albeit with a match in hand.

Equally as worrying for Manuel Pellegrini as he enters his final three months in charge it left fourth-placed City looking over their shoulder with Manchester United and West Ham now breathing down their necks.


The Chilean may have already won the League Cup, his third trophy in three years, but it would tarnish his legacy if he were to leave incoming manager Pep Guardiola without Champions League football

City, without injured captain Yaya Toure, were a pale imitation of the side which has so often lit up the Premier League.

For Liverpool, however, this was a performance which highlighted all of their characteristic inconsistency as once they got into their stride they cut through City with apparent ease.

With Daniel Sturridge rested Divock Origi, again preferred to Christian Benteke, made his first league start since getting injured in the St Stephen's Day win over Leicester and gave Liverpool's attack mobility which allowed them to press City high up the field.

Jon Flanagan, on his first league start since May 2014, clattered into the returning Raheem Sterling in the first 30 seconds to set the tone for their own personal battle which the Liverpool full-back won comfortably.

The job the defender did on the England winger, on his first return to Anfield since his £49million summer move, was good enough for Sterling to be replaced by Wilfried Bony at half-time.

If Flanagan had kept Sterling in check the same could be said of both sides as for 34 minutes they cancelled out each other.

It was only a slack piece of absent-minded defending from Nicolas Otemendi, City's £32million centre-back, which really allowed Liverpool to take the lead.

Lallana picked up the ball midway in the visitors' half but with the Argentina international standing off he advanced, albeit slowly, and with no challenge coming in he opted to shoot.

The ball almost seemed to travel in slow motion but it was well-placed enough to beat Joe Hart, restored at the expense of Wembley hero Willy Cabellero, inside his left-hand post for the forward's third goal in his last four league games.

Such was the low-key manner of the goal it took a moment for the realisation to sink in around Anfield but there was no such confusion around the second which sliced City apart just before the break.

Lallana started the move with a backheel to Firmino who squared for Milner to charge into the penalty area and ram past Hart.

The England midfielder, who chested Aguero's header off the line from City's only shot on target, has yet to be on the losing side in the 41 different Premier League matches in which he has scored and confirmation that record would continue was secured as early as the 58th minute.

Again Lallana played a central part, running at the defence before teeing up Firmino for his seventh goal of the season.

City barely put up a fight and that will be a concern for Pellegrini as the title race enters its final 10 matches.