| 7.2°C Dublin

Raheem Sterling 'caught using laughing gas again


Liverpool's Raheem Sterling

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling

Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling has been pictured apparently inhaling laughing gas for a second time.

The 20-year-old England international is seen in footage posted on The Sun's website reportedly taking nitrous oxide - a legal high - while on holiday in Ibiza.

Sterling was previously warned about his off-the-field conduct by Reds manager Brendan Rodgers, having been filmed taking the drug known as "hippy crack" during the football season.

In April, Rodgers said: "For me it is something that when you are a professional sportsperson at the top level of the game, I don't think it is something you should be doing. It is as simple as that.

"As I have said before, young players make mistakes. As long as they learn from them, that is what is important."

After speaking to the player, Rodgers then told reporters: "It is (about) perspective as well. If you look at Raheem he didn't do anything illegal.

"It was something he will look back on in years to come and it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do."

The revelation comes amid a contract wrangle between Sterling and Liverpool, who on Wednesday rejected a bid of around £40million from Manchester City with the club not inclined to sell for anything below their valuation of at least £50million..

The Reds have always maintained they do not want to sell Sterling, who has two years remaining on his contract, but there is no doubt his situation on Merseyside has deteriorated since the youngster turned down a new £100,000-a-week deal in January.

Agent Aidy Ward's subsequent claim his client would not even sign for "£900,000-a-week" prompted Liverpool to cancel a scheduled meeting to reopen talks in May.

He was then abused by Liverpool fans as he warmed up before the 6-1 defeat against Stoke on the final day of the Barclays Premier League season while he also given a rough reception by Irish fans during England's recent goalless draw in Dublin.