| 13°C Dublin

Rafa relieved at Reading draw while Toffees get out of a sticky situation

Shocks were sadly lacking in Saturday's FA Cup third round ties, although Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez admitted he was relieved to escape with a 1-1 draw against Reading.

Steven Gerrard cancelled out Simon Church's opener but Reading had chances to book their place in the fourth round.

"I'm relieved," admitted Benitez. "To play in front of the TV and against Liverpool I think was a massive boost for them and you could see they played really well.

"They were pushing and working very hard from the beginning until the end so we had to do our job.

"It was a difficult game and the most positive thing is that we will play another game at Anfield."

There was also relief back on Merseyside as Everton scored two late goals to see off League One side Carlisle United.

James Vaughan had give Everton an early lead but, after Kevan Hurst's scuffed equaliser, the Cumbrians more than matched their Premier League opponents until Tim Cahill and Leighton Baines struck late on.

Everton boss David Moyes said: "The scoreline was a little flattering, but we are through.

"I was not surprised by Carlisle, but I was disappointed that when we went one up early on, we were not able to build on that and control the game better."

All three non-league teams bowed out with Luton losing 1-0 at Southampton, York going down 3-1 at Stoke and Barrow beaten 3-0 at Sunderland.

However, both York and Barrow gave good accounts of themselves with York taking the lead at the Britannia Stadium despite only arriving at 3pm for a kick-off put back to 3.30pm.

Neil Barrett opened the scoring but Rory Delap's trademark long throws caused an own goal from Danny Parslow and set up Ricardo Fuller for the second, while Matthew Etherington sealed the win with a second- half free-kick.

Speaking of Delap's throws, York boss Martin Foyle said: "It's a fantastic asset and I think it's contributed to a lot of Stoke's goals over last season and this season.

"We defended them very well in training but on the day, the trajectory of it is absolutely frightening."

Barrow took around 8,000 fans to Sunderland and were only one behind until Fraizer Campbell's second-half double eased Sunderland into the next round.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce said: "I'm delighted for Fraizer because he's had to wait patiently and he's only a young player.

"The second goal was the important thing because Barrow played their part.

"They were spirited and had good individuals and they made a proper cup tie out of it."

The only big-name casualties came in ties between Premier League sides, with Aston Villa beating Blackburn rovers 3-1 and Wigan athletic coming from behind to beat Hull city 4-1.

Crisis club Portsmouth face a replay at the Ricoh Arena after being held to a 1-1 draw by Coventry, while in-form Birmingham were held to a 0-0 draw at Nottingham Forest, where Rob Earnshaw missed a penalty.

Tottenham thrashed Peterborough 4-0, Fulham beat Swindon 1-0 and two managerless sides enjoyed comprehensive wins.

Bolton, who sacked Gary Megson earlier in the week, beat Lincoln 4-0 and Preston north end, who dispensed with the services of Allan Irvine, hammered Colchester united 7-0.

Manchester City are yet to concede a goal under Roberto Mancini after they won 1-0 at Middlesbrough, while Championship leaders Newcastle united drew 0-0 at Plymouth argyle.

Elsewhere, there were wins for West Bromwich albion at Huddersfield, Leicester city at home to Swansea city and Burnley at MK Dons.

Crystal Palace and Ipswich town both won 2-1 on the road at Sheffield Wednesday and Blackpool respectively, Scunthorpe saw off Barnsley 1-0, Brighton won 1-0 at Torquay and Millwall and Derby drew 1-1.