| 5.9°C Dublin

Pulis furious with ref as disallowed goal sees City go fourth

Stoke boss Tony Pulis was left fuming after Manchester City snatched a controversial draw to move fourth in the Premier League last night.

Pulis was furious that his 10-man side were denied a stoppage-time winner at the Britannia Stadium when referee Alan Wiley ruled Ryan Shawcross had fouled goalkeeper Shay Given before heading home.

Stoke had been pegged back to 1-1 after 85 minutes when Gareth Barry cancelled out Glenn Whelan's 72nd-minute opener.

"The goal in the second half is a good goal," Pulis said. "There is no doubt Ryan gets up.

"Look at (Kolo) Toure's reaction -- his head is in his hands and he is on his knees. It is a good goal and why the referee has disallowed it I just don't know, and it is very disappointing for us."

Pulis' anger did not end there. His side had been dominant in the first half as City struggled to handle their unashamedly direct and physical style.

The momentum shifted as Abdoulaye Faye was shown a straight red card for pulling down Emmanuel Adebayor, but it was still Stoke who seized the initiative through Whelan.

Pulis had no complaints about the dismissal of Faye but was aggrieved that a number of unspecified incidents went unpunished in the first half.

Pulis would not give details but was assumed to have been angered by a moment when Patrick Vieira appeared to kick Whelan between the legs.

"It was a good decision to send Abi off, but there were certain incidents that I am not too pleased with," Pulis said.

"We had a player (Robert Huth) given a three-game suspension after an incident a couple of months back.

"The referee missed an incident, the FA (Football Association) looked at it and suspended him for three games.

"There were incidents in the first half with Manchester City players where I think it is as bad if not worse.

"We got ours sent off but one or two of theirs didn't even get booked. It is pretty poor really."

Manchester City's point was enough to lift them above Liverpool and into fourth ahead of the two sides' meeting at Eastlands on Sunday.


City still have a game in hand on the Anfield side but manager Roberto Mancini viewed the latest result as an opportunity missed.

The Italian said: "We had a fantastic chance to win this game.

"We have a good position now but when you have a chance you must take it.

"It is two (points) lost because we played 11 against 10 for 40 minutes. We must play better.

"We had many chances to score a goal but when we arrive in the box we must be more aggressive."

Mancini -- who joked that his English is improving as a result of watching Coronation Street -- added that he hopes top scorer Carlos Tevez will return this weekend.

The Argentinian was missing for personal reasons.

After Liverpool, City will then have to play Stoke for a third time in less than two weeks in an FA Cup fifth-round replay.

When asked if he was looking forward to returning to the Britannia Stadium, Mancini joked: "I'm happy!"