| 21.6°C Dublin

O'Rourke double turns the tables!

THE final matches in the group stage of the Tommy Clements Cup took place at the AUL on Thursday evening last and Sandyhill/Shangan faced Trinity Donaghmede with both teams still in with a chance of advancing.

Assuming that O'Devaney/Dunard would get something from their tie with Swords(which they did), Sandyhill would need a win with Trinity needing just a point to go through.

Early on it looked as though the Donaghmedemen with achieve their goal with ease, they enjoyed the bulk of the possession and, when they went in front on 18 it looked like a plain sailing situation.

Mick Mooney powered a Joe Watson cross from the left goalwards with his head, Stephen Robinson did exceedingly well to get a hand on it but the ball spun out and back over his body in to the net.

Four minutes later however, Trinity were back on level terms. Lee Somers pounced on clearance and his effort from 20 yards took a wicked deflection before finding the corner of the net.

The goal seemed to have instilled belief in the men from Ballymun and for the remainder of the half they were the better side.

They might have taken the lead with them to the break when Somers' cross found Derek Martin free. His header was saved brilliantly by Conor Daly who also pushed away the rebounded effort from Paul Creighton.

All square at the break then and Sandyhill started the second period as they had finished the first-on the front foot. On 57 they deservedly went in front.

Derek Martin's through ball took a deflection, allowing Git O'Rourke to scoot through in an onside position and he kept his head before slotting home past Daly.There was a period of pressure from Trinity thereafter but it was met with some stout resistance by the Sandyhill rearguard.

Wes Delaney being most impressive in this department.

Alan Conor and Alan Ray both went close in the dying throes, but with all caution thrown to the wind, Sandyhill iced the cake in the final seconds of injury-time.

Robinson's long punt found O'Rourke in the clear and he lobbed Daly to send Trinity through on a 3-1 scoreline to the quarter-finals of The Tommy Clements.

Sandyhill/Shangan: Stephen Robinson, Christopher Doolan, Graham Conway, Derek Martin, Pat Groves, J.J. Manando, Wes Delaney, Thomas Cassell, Paul Creighton, Sean O'Reilly, Keith Gavin. Subs: Lee Somers, Sean Smith, Chris O'Rourke, Jimmy Bell.

Trinity/Donaghmede: Conor Daly, Shane Wakefield, Phillip Mooney, Paul Quinn, Shane Downey, Mick Mooney, Dylan Byrne, Jonathan Buckley, Ciaran Ryan, Alan Ray, Joseph Watson. Subs: Paul Hickey, Eddie Ryan, Alan Connor, Graham Garafolo, David Kinsella.

Referee: David Dunne: Assistants : Frank Bartley & Ian Bradley