| 16.8°C Dublin

O'Neill brace rescues Bohs

THEY are in a lot better shape compared to the early stages of recent seasons which saw them flirt with relegation, but Bohemians will see their 2-2 draw at home to Drogheda United as a case of points dropped and not won.

An unlikely top-of-the-table clash due to opening-night wins a week earlier, former Bohs man Gary O'Neill played a key role in this draw, 'Nailer' scoring twice to help his side come back from a 2-0 deficit.

It is a result which keeps Drogheda on top of the table on the basis of having scored more goals.

The popular O'Neill has made a remarkable recovery from cancer to get his career back again and the veteran punished former team-mates like Dean Delany and Aidan Price to earn Robbie Horgan's side their point.

Bohs hope that veteran striker Jason Byrne can deliver the goals this season but so far he has been used off the bench – he came on for the last 14 minutes last night – while Dinny Corcoran takes on the mantle up front with two first-half strikes which gave Bohs a 2-0 lead.


Corcoran's first came on 14 minutes, midfielder Craig Walsh slipping in the pass for the former UCD man to fire Bohs in front

In the 28th minute Corcoran had his second of the night. Paddy Kavanagh's run caused panic in the Drogheda defence and United debutant Ciaran McGuigan felled Corcoran in the box and the forward stepped up to take the spot kick himself.

Drogheda, superb against Dundalk on the opening night of the season, had been sluggish but they managed to wake from their slumber and former Bohs man Gary O'Neill got them back in the game on 35 minutes, O'Neill running on to a long ball from Alan McNally and somehow sliding a shot past his former Shels team-mate Dean Delany in the Gypsies' goal.

Corcoran should have had a hat-trick seconds before the break when some clever play from Craig Walsh and Steven Beattie set up a chance, but the striker's effort was well wide. That miss and others would prove costly as Drogheda got a foothold in the game.

Delany had to save from Eric Foley on 63 minutes and Bohs defender Price was forced to deny Cathal Brady.

And with three minutes of normal time left, Bohs suffered from their failure to kill off the game. They were unable to clear a corner from sub Gavin Holohan and O'Neill used his nous to nick the equaliser.