| 10.7°C Dublin

Monaco strike deal for Falcao

Monaco last night confirmed they have struck a stunning deal to bring Colombian striker Radamel Falcao to the club from Atletico Madrid.

The champions of France's Ligue 2 are planning an assault on Paris St Germain's top-flight title next season and see Falcao, rated among the most lethal forwards in world football, as having a key role.

There was no mention of the fee involved in Monaco's statement confirming the transfer, but it was certain to be astronomical, reflecting the interest in Falcao from many of Europe's biggest and wealthiest clubs.

Monaco said on their official website: "Monaco are happy to announce we have reached an agreement with Atletico Madrid and the player Radamel Falcao for the transfer to Monaco beginning with the season 2013-14. The Colombian international striker has signed for five years."

LUIS 'NOT FOR SALE'

LIVERPOOL have said striker Luis Suarez is not for sale after the Uruguayan, who received a 10-match English domestic ban for biting last month, stated he wanted to leave the Premier League club.

"Luis Suarez is not for sale," said a club spokesman yesterday.

"Neither Luis or his representatives have communicated these feelings directly to Liverpool. The club remains supportive of Luis and expect him to honour his contract. The club will not be making any further comment at this stage."

The 26-year-old said in Montevideo on Thursday that British media had made his life impossible and he would like to play in the Spanish league.

"One has one's limits, one has a family, who also suffer, and that's very complicated," he said.


Privacy