| 10.3°C Dublin

Mancini denies that heat is on

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini denied he was under increasing pressure after his expensively assembled side crashed out of the FA Cup at Stoke last night.

City paid the price for Emmanuel Adebayor's sending off as they were overpowered 3-1 by the Potters in extra-time at the Britannia Stadium.

The result effectively ended City's hopes of winning silverware this season and left them to concentrate on their attempts to break into the top four of the Premier League.

With so much money having been spent at Eastlands, it is thought failure to do so could cost Mancini his job.

The Italian has won just two of his last eight matches in all competitions but he insists he is not feeling the heat.

"No, no, absolutely not," Mancini said.

"I'm disappointed because we lost. We had a good chance to go to the next round and the final, but this is football, we must improve."

City forced extra-time after Craig Bellamy struck immediately to cancel out Dave Kitson's 79th-minute opener.

But the game turned after Adebayor was dismissed for raising his arms in an attempt to fend off Ryan Shawcross.

Shawcross then headed the Potters ahead five minutes into extra time and Tuncay booked Stoke's place in the last eight four minutes later.

Mancini added: "My opinion is that we played very well.

"We dominated the game and had six or seven chances to score a goal before the sending off of Emmanuel.

"Until that situation it was our best performance in the last three or four games. Manu (Adebayor) played very well, fantastic. For me -- maximum yellow card. It was not so dangerous."

It was the third time the two sides had played out 1-1 draws over 90 minutes in the past 12 days.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis, whose side now face Chelsea in the last eight, was pleased the Potters had finally emerged victorious.

Pulis said: "We have played a team three times in the past two weeks, a team of unbelievable resources and quality.

"We have managed to come out on top, so we are delighted, really pleased."

Meanwhile, in a rare bit of good news for Mancini, Carlos Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian has reiterated that the Manchester City striker will fly back to England in time for this weekend's Premier League game with Chelsea.





COMPLICATIONS

Argentina international Tevez was given compassionate leave and allowed to return to his homeland earlier this month due to complications with his partner Vanesa's pregnancy.

The couple's baby daughter Katie has been in intensive care after being born prematurely and it had been unclear when Tevez would return.

City boss Roberto Mancini said he expected Tevez to return in time for the Chelsea game after speaking to him earlier this week, and Joorabchian confirmed the player would soon board a plane for England.

The Iranian businessman told Argentinian newspaper Ole: "Thank God, Katie is getting better despite still being in hospital.

"So Carlitos told me he was going to fly back to England in the next hours and will play Chelsea on Saturday.

"It has not been an enjoyable trip home, but Carlitos had to stay because of problems, not because he did not want to play. It proves the sort of man he is -- family first."


Privacy